Update: Progress on Tug Training

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Update: Progress on Tug Training

Post by centrop67 »

Consistent training is paying off. :wtg:

Radar's outs are immediate and consistent throughout training sessions (more than 3 now).

In fact, he not only outs, but has decided to punch the tug into my gut on release. I am not sure if that's desirable behavior, but it's worlds above his outs before I started.

I very happy about his focus when the tug is around.

For those in the know, do you think I should try to use the tug for some anti-reactivity training? I am thinking about how BAT training teaches getting focus just prior to threshold, and I am wondering if the tug would be a means towards that end.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Update: Progress on Tug Training

Post by TimL_168 »

Just my two cents
I've been using En's tracking training to avoid her going nuts around other dogs along the trails we run on. The upside is that she instantly snaps to attention and lurches off trail in search of a deer trail.
The downside is there's a LOT of deer there, and she's almost always on a trail that I end up having to pull her off of.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

If your dog loves tug - yes, use it. I use it all the time - especially in agility. We have to maneuver around dogs in tight spaces getting on and off the agility course. I keep him tugging and I watch the other dogs for him. As it should be.
Patty and Ice
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

:wtg:
ICE wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:54 pm If your dog loves tug - yes, use it. I use it all the time - especially in agility. We have to maneuver around dogs in tight spaces getting on and off the agility course. I keep him tugging and I watch the other dogs for him. As it should be.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:47 pm

In fact, he not only outs, but has decided to punch the tug into my gut on release. I am not sure if that's desirable behavior, but it's worlds above his outs before I started.

if it is not what you are asking for.... then it is an undesirable action :DSangel:

Sounds great though !!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Buy Ivan balovanovs dvd series it shows you how to play tug with your dog it’s sound to me like this is what you need
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Thanks Steve. I will check that out.

I have watched several videos on playing tug. I can't remember which one, but I do remember one where the person in the video says that I should expect the dog to forcefully push the tug back to me if I let go.

I really need to heed the great advice of hiring a trainer. I had a behaviorist early on with Radar, though she was unfamiliar with the breed. I certainly have the means and desire to get things right with Radar.

My problem is trust. It's very much like putting my kid in the hands of another person. I don't have kids, but I know I'd be wary of the situation.

The local Shutzhund club here isn't so local for me (~30 miles). I've reached out to other clubs, but they don't seem to have the same atmosphere I am looking for to socialize with other protection dog owners. There's also a language issue for me locally in Miami - my Spanish is poor at best.

The bottom line is that Radar is doing quite well - certainly not perfect, and definitely not the best he could be, but I prefer that to damage that might be caused with the wrong trainer.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:26 pm Thanks Steve. I will check that out.

I have watched several videos on playing tug. I can't remember which one, but I do remember one where the person in the video says that I should expect the dog to forcefully push the tug back to me if I let go.

I really need to heed the great advice of hiring a trainer. I had a behaviorist early on with Radar, though she was unfamiliar with the breed. I certainly have the means and desire to get things right with Radar.

My problem is trust. It's very much like putting my kid in the hands of another person. I don't have kids, but I know I'd be wary of the situation.

The local Shutzhund club here isn't so local for me (~30 miles). I've reached out to other clubs, but they don't seem to have the same atmosphere I am looking for to socialize with other protection dog owners. There's also a language issue for me locally in Miami - my Spanish is poor at best.

The bottom line is that Radar is doing quite well - certainly not perfect, and definitely not the best he could be, but I prefer that to damage that might be caused with the wrong trainer.
Yoda was taught as soon as I drop the ball to engage me right away aka shove the ball back at me... I like this for competition obedience play it makes the dog confident and that’s how you know the dog is all about you and not what else is going on around you! I’d say keep up with that!!!! The dog is truley playing and having fun with you and staying focused this way!!! Plus it builds a solid relationship when the dog trust you are going to give it back and wants to engage!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

sadie shoves her toys in my stomach, I never taught her to do that, Its pretty funny actually.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage