My DS does this so I should....?

Medic0678
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Mom to one 2 legged child and her merry band of 4 legged misfits.

My DS does this so I should....?

Post by Medic0678 »

Hey all!

I have several questions actually. From the reading I’ve done here, bloodlines make a big difference in a DS’s temperment. Is anyone familiar with the Big Roy and Kimi lines? I have a daughter of this pairing. She’s friendly, active and seems to want affection ie petting. She isn’t a cuddler and we don’t try to get her to be. She’s new to us and nearly 3. We (my daughter and I) were prepared for an active dog who would want to play fetch for hours on end. She came to us with a lot of (and continued) support from the trainer. I’m simply looking for different opinions.

When throwing her toy, she returns it almost immediately. She’ll drop it in your lap or on whatever part of you is close. If you don’t pick it up fast enough, she’ll get it, in the process forgetting there is skin under the toy that she’s nipped a few times. How do I modify this behavior so she’ll drop it on the floor or not end up catching skin in the process? I have had her sit before I’ll throw it, as soon as she sits, I immediately toss it and this has seemed to help some. She is beyond adament when it comes to playing with her toys, we MUST be involved, per her.

I work night shift, she’s crated with a family member stopping by to let her out to potty after I’ve gone to work. This morning I laid on the couch to cat nap a bit. She abandoned her toy and picked up a shoe. I said Leave It! a little sharper than I intended. She immediately dropped it, came over to the couch and seemed apologetic...side bar, I know better than to humanize their behavior, it’s for descriptive purposes only. She buried her head under my arms, nosed my hand and tried to lay on me, almost insistently. When she jumped on me, I told her Down and gently moved her front half off the couch back to the floor. She stayed on the floor but pawed at me, trying to drag my hand to her. I wasn’t quite sure what to make of this interaction, how to read it or how to respond to it.

Any insight would be helpful, again, I don’t have an issue with where we purchased her from, I’m just looking for different opinions from people who seem by all accounts, very passionate about this breed. Thanks!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: My DS does this so I should....?

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Listen to your Trainer! He knows the dog better than strangers on the internet who can only guess on the issue
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Working night shift and having an active dog is hard. I’m in that boat. I don’t have any advice. Wishing you well.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

If you have a good trainer that you like and trust, you are better off working with them. He knows your dog and you and how you two interact and would give better advise than us who know nothing of you and your dog
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage