Tug Exercises

piotrzaremba
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: None

Tug Exercises

Post by piotrzaremba »

Quick question all.

So I have a DS that is being trained by a private trainer. And we discussed the training plan for the 11 month old DS 2 months ago and started the training schedule. One thing that came up was Tug of War exercises and she advised to stay away from them since its a game of dominance and she prefers not to teach that game to the DS at this point or maybe never. This is due to the fact that he does go to play camp and if him and another dog ever get into a game of tug of war that he will treat it as a dominance game but also may try to become the alpha of the play group instead of just a member if he always wins the game. What is everyone's opinion. I know that the game should be taught with rules of owner always wins and the "drop it" command should always be respected. I wanted to play the game with the dog because it will help wear him out. I also have a flirt stick that I use to wear him out when needed.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Tug Exercises

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I had always played TOW with my dogs, I do let them win and when I say out they out like its on fire. I have two female DS and when Thalie was younger her and Sadie would play TOW for ever, I always watched and they were fine. Never a fight. But that is my two, each is different
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
piotrzaremba
Just Whelped

Post by piotrzaremba »

Also from a training perspective do you teach “drop it” and “out” as two different commands?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

piotrzaremba wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32 am Also from a training perspective do you teach “drop it” and “out” as two different commands?
I never taught "drop it" it was always " out". the less syllables the better. Simple and quick
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Tug is the best way of building engagement that I've ever found with any of my dogs. It's fun for the dog and it gets them very focused on positive interaction with you.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
piotrzaremba
Just Whelped

Post by piotrzaremba »

Is there a post, I have looked that suggestions what type of tug "toy" to buy to get the best results?