New puppy

AllisonLee
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a stay at home mom with back ground as a vet tech. Familiar to the breed but this is my first time owning a Dutch.

New puppy

Post by AllisonLee »

Hello, this is my first time posting here and I’m searching for answers. I recently got a Dutch shepherd puppy he is 4 months and we’ve had him going on 2 weeks. Since we’ve got him he seems unsure about everything, growling at laundry baskets, children’s toys, other dogs, other people. During the day when it’s just me and my 2 children, he stays at my feet. We spend most the day walking, playing outside and doing some basic training. When my husband gets home, he turns into a different dog and goes in his corner. (I am working on my husband to gain his trust slowly) My main question as of now is about his lazy behavior. From everything I’ve read about the breed they need to stay active, but with him it’s hard to get him to do anything. Occasionally he will chase a ball but it’s not far and it’s only once. We live on the edge of the woods so he has that open to him to explore, but he chooses not to. He doesn’t make noise during the day (unless he’s growling at someone or something new), he doesn’t chew on things , he seems very content sleeping all day. I take him on a walk and jog and he prefers to “stroll” slowly. He doesn’t hide, he stays close to me and seems like he’s gaining confidence day by day. So my question is, is it by chance I found the one lazy Dutch? Or will he grow out of his lazy behavior as he gets older.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: New puppy

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hi and welcome. Do you have any pictures. There is no such thing as a lazy DS so you may have a mix or not a dutch at all. Have you taken him to the vet to rule out anything ?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
AllisonLee
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a stay at home mom with back ground as a vet tech. Familiar to the breed but this is my first time owning a Dutch.

Post by AllisonLee »

ImageYeah, no health concerns. He acts like a healthy happy puppy for the most part. Just when we are outside he likes to lay in the grass, and he’s just really chill. The “breeder” I got him from did not give us papers and did not elaborate on his bloodline. His littermate looked like a typical Dutch, he is not brindle and looks slightly more like a German.
Attachments
8BE6A586-35B3-4012-A409-543F91805428.jpeg
8BE6A586-35B3-4012-A409-543F91805428.jpeg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 2410 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

You did not get the papers???? Why? any good breeder gives you papers
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

What this appears to be is a malinois x dutch breeding... your pup took on the malinois coat.... That's why it looks different and that's also why you didn't receive papers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

It's not the breeders fault... honestly this is fairly common and if he did not tell you the pedigree then that's on you for not asking and still buying the puppy
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I would like to give an idea about the first part of your problem - seeming laziness.

You have a very young pup. It's been in a new environment for a short period of time. It's really important that exposure to new things is fun and rewarding. Time will allow the puppy to get used to you and your husband.

I would like to suggest that even if you don't have protection training in the future you look at the book: Schutzhund Obedience : Training in Drive

A lot of the training exercises and advice in this book are perfect for this breed (Mal or DS or any mix thereof).

The "two-ball" exercise explained early on in the book might be a real good place to start. You're actually training and playing at the same time.

You should also consider looking real hard at professional training advice. Sometimes, there's signs that you may not pick up on that a good trainer can see and provide good advice. It's a lot better than trying to diagnose over the internet.

Finally, you might consider a good vet check-up. Sometimes behavior is a result of health issues, and because the pup can't tell you what's wrong in words, it may be communicating in action.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers