Shying away from playing with her ball

GypsyTheDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Me n my girls, Gypsy and Nala, live in Georgia. Gypsy was found as a neglected and abused stray. A Dutch Shepherd mix. She is now healthy and happy as part of our family. Nala came to us from a Craigslist ad at a year old. A tall and lanky German Shepherd/lab mix.

Shying away from playing with her ball

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Ok so my girl is pretty skittish. We believe she was abused in her past home. Well i was throwing the ball for her and she was really into it. Well i threw the ball towards her and it accidentally hit her. And it was just a tennis ball not a hard ball. Well ever since than she has shied away from playing with her ball. When i pick up the ball anymore she lays down and lays her ears back in a submissive way. How can i get her back on the ball?? I feel bad for what happened but i didn't do anything wrong to cause this. I mean, it happens. But i would like her to not shy away from playing the way she used to. Any advise to get her back to playing??
Aimee, Gypsy (DS) & Nala (GSD/lab)
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Shying away from playing with her ball

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Take it slow and give her a break from the ball... any negative experience this dog has will set her back
.. cut the ball open and put her favorite treat inside and leave it on the floor and as she starts to play she'll get reinforced and within a few sessions of this she will go back to playing with it... just be careful and take it slow
GypsyTheDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Me n my girls, Gypsy and Nala, live in Georgia. Gypsy was found as a neglected and abused stray. A Dutch Shepherd mix. She is now healthy and happy as part of our family. Nala came to us from a Craigslist ad at a year old. A tall and lanky German Shepherd/lab mix.

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Thank you so much!!! I will definitely try this!!! I am so sad that something had to have happened to her to get this way. I wish i could do something to take all the fear away from her.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

accidents will happen. Give the ball a break for a while. play something else. when you do go back to playing, throw the ball in a different direction, don't throw it to her. Get a tug, that may be fun, just watchyour fingers.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
GypsyTheDS
Puppy

Post by GypsyTheDS »

See that's really the thing. Lol. I normally don't throw it toward her. She's normally standing next to me. I don't even know why i did it at the time
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

It happens. They move so quick. If and when it may happen again, ignore the fact that it happened. Dont give attention to her when she acts scared or cowers or what ever she does.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
GypsyTheDS
Puppy

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Thank you again for your input. :)
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 pm It happens. They move so quick. If and when it may happen again, ignore the fact that it happened. Dont give attention to her when she acts scared or cowers or what ever she does.
Agreed! I ignore weak behaviors and show them no positive or negative reaction