What Can I do?

GunnersMom2018
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm 47 and have owned dogs all my life. This is my first Dutch Shepherd, his name is Gunner and he is 4 months old. We live in WV

What Can I do?

Post by GunnersMom2018 »

My DS Gunner is 6 months old and pretty sweet most of the time. He wags his tail and loves to try and lick ya a lot. My boyfriend is a over the road truck driver and gone usually 3 weeks at a time. He comes home and Gunner is always happy to see him, wags his tail and licks him. But there are times when I'm sitting on the couch, Gunner will be by me and then my boyfriend sits down on the other side of Gunner (not real close to him) Gunner will growl and bark at him and last night he tried to nip my boyfriend. How or what can I do to correct this? I don't want Gunner to end up biting my boyfriend. I can't afford a trainer right now because I just had to spend everything I had on dental surgery. I want to try to save up for the trainer but it's not cheap. Gunner does listen to me pretty well. And I've even tried having my boyfriend feed him treats but he still growls at him at times. It's like one minute Gunner is lovey-dovey with my boyfriend and the next he growls.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: What Can I do?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

remember, DS are protection dogs and you are his human so he is protecting you. Since your bf is gone for a long stretch at a time, he is not sure if he should be protecting you from him. You should save for a trainer, it will be the most important thing you do with Gunner.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage