Dutch Pup won’t stop biting my mom

Charlevh13
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dog mom to Ophelia

Dutch Pup won’t stop biting my mom

Post by Charlevh13 »

Hello! I’m new to this forum and not sure how this works. I have a rescue Dutch Shepherd and she is amazing and very docile. My parents loved my dog so much they went and got themselves a Dutch puppy this summer. Long story short their pup will not stop biting my mom. Never my dad. It’s gotten to the point where she is biting my mom almost daily. Not playfully either. Like lunging at her and ripping her skin open. This started mostly as an aggressive behavior involving her bones and food but has turned into a daily thing. My mom acts assertive, yells at her, tells her off and no but the dog continues. I don’t know what advice to give her. Why is the dog behaving his way and only towards my mom? If she doesn’t get help soon she said she will have to give the dog up. Help!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Dutch Pup won’t stop biting my mom

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome.

It's in the nature of this breed to be a one-person dog, and we are constantly trying to inform the public that they require some experience. That said, there's some things that should help, BUT getting a trainer experienced with working dogs is really important now.

First, mom needs to start carrying things it is okay for the puppy to bite, and redirecting the puppy to that object EVERY time this happens. Also, she should take an active roll in training and any other play activities with the puppy.

You can read more about biting and one-person dogs in several posts on this site. Try some searches, and red through some of the behavior threads.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Dutch Pup won’t stop biting my mom

Post by borellar15 »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:31 pm Welcome
First, mom needs to start carrying things it is okay for the puppy to bite, and redirecting the puppy to that object EVERY time this happens. Also, she should take an active roll in training and any other play activities with the puppy.
This is good advice. Most DS puppies and Malinois puppies are always looking for something to gnaw on or tug on. If it’s your arm, hand or pant leg, so be it. They will not let up. As said by centric best thing to do is have a toy or rope tug of some kind to redirect them to and get them to bite on the toy other than yourself. They are very confident dogs and will not be easily shewed away. When Zoey was just 10 weeks old she used to bite and hold onto my pant leg and growl and try and rip em. It’s in their nature. Get help from a trainer as soon as possible and it will make your life easier
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas