But First....

Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

But First....

Post by Joxgirl »

Everytime I let Rogue into the backyard she circles one of our trees. Ok. Maybe she is looking for the lizards, or the squirrel, possibly a rat or mouse. When I call back insde, most of the time she goes back to that tree to circle it again before coming inside... if she does ( my battle is here recal still).
Its like, “But first... must circle tree, sniff it and look into the branches.”
Anyone else experiencing this?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: But First....

Post by Dutchringgirl »

this is a herding breed, the circling is herding, there must be something there she wants. Sadie circles every thing and everyone
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Awww Lisa this makes sense. She also herds the balls.
At first i was frustraded with this act but then I figured it was her thing. I can wait the 30 seconds it takes her to circle.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

you can re-direct her as well. I have a collar on sadie that has a handle, so when she gets excited and spins or circles, I can grab it and settle her down. you could go get her and walk her back if you have to go somewhere or just so she does not get into the habit an make it take longer and longer
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

I would just work on her recall more. That was something we struggled with too especially outside of the house but since her training she’s been great. She’s on a mini educator ecollar now tho so if she gets distracted by something she gets a very low stimulation and she forgets about whatever distracted her and continues in her recall. It’s been getting better and better.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm you can re-direct her as well. I have a collar on sadie that has a handle, so when she gets excited and spins or circles, I can grab it and settle her down. you could go get her and walk her back if you have to go somewhere or just so she does not get into the habit an make it take longer and longer
Its most frustrating when she does this at night. I usually walk her outside for a break, on the leash, or she just wont come in. I will have to give thought before I release her, how i want her to come back in. I love that this dog makes me think.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

borellar15 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:07 pm I would just work on her recall more. That was something we struggled with too especially outside of the house but since her training she’s been great. She’s on a mini educator ecollar now tho so if she gets distracted by something she gets a very low stimulation and she forgets about whatever distracted her and continues in her recall. It’s been getting better and better.
The recall is good while training but once i release her and we are playing, recall is bad. I was just thinking about this last night. I am going to go back to step one.
I bought a mini educator. I have not used it yet. I want to use it correctly.
Last edited by Joxgirl on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Echo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: New owner of an Dutch Shep - ECHO
I thought it was only right to join the Forum and become part of the Fam

Post by Echo »

Im a newbie with e-collars but i'm sure it would help in this situation.
I would use a long line, if you want to work on her distracted recall. Call for a recall and when she turns to go to the tree just give the line a gently tug or you can use the line to wheel her into your direction, and get her attention on you then reward. Hopefully over time she will learn that when you say come, you mean come now.
Goodluck Jox
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Forged in a fire lit long ago, stand next to me you'll never stand alone...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ecollars are a bad crutch and can do more damage if both human and dog are not properly trained in its use. For this situation, recall work is needed. I would not let her off leash then, until her recall is solid. If she is deciding when to come in, then back on the leash she goes. Do recall work on leash a gazillion times a day and she does not get off leash until its solid.
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 pm ecollars are a bad crutch and can do more damage if both human and dog are not properly trained in its use.
I agree completely. You should not just buy one and slap it on and expect improvements. I would have your trainer properly transition your dog onto an ecollar.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas