Racist Dog

Cooper
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch Shepherd

Racist Dog

Post by Cooper »

I think my dog is a racist ! Not towards people, but towards other dogs...
She has gone to all the puppy socializing classes and obedience ever since we brought her home. And when I brought her home she gets along with my moms dogs okay. But ever since I moved out on my own she just hates all dogs EXCEPT for 2 doberman pinchers down at the dog park. She will run and play with them. She even lets them take her ball. She has never let any dog take her ball. A full size giant malamute tried to take her ball and she wasn't giving up her ball at all. Any thoughts or tips ? :roll:
Pass the dutchie, on the left handside !

Cooper..Is my lastname
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Racist Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Cooper -

I LOVE your signature... I get it!!! :hic:

But, please do not forget to "sign" your posts. Many people (including me 8-) ) like to see the persons name.

Patience on your part and socialization may help.

In the long term what do you want to do with your dog? Letting everyone know what your goals are may help.

For example - if you are wanting to work your dog in a protection sport, then socialization with other dogs may not be what you want.

OR - if you have a pet dog, then socialization is something you probably want to achieve.

the forum is full of people who do everything with their DS.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Cooper
Just Whelped

Post by Cooper »

I want a dog that I can take to the dog park and not worry about her ripping someones face off. I have no intention to train her towards being a working dog.

I got her cause I wanted a dog. I didn't get her as a hobby.
I get paid to protect people at work, I don't need a dog to do it for me when I get home.

All I am doing is when she gets into her attack mode is try to distract her with another "new" tennis ball I keep in my pocket. It seems to work most of the time unless the other dog also chases the new ball.

My username is my actual name... Cooper, its my last name.

Cooper..Is my lastname
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Cooper wrote: All I am doing is when she gets into her attack mode is try to distract her with another "new" tennis ball I keep in my pocket. It seems to work most of the time unless the other dog also chases the new ball.
Have you tried just telling her that this attackmodenonsense is not her job? Instead of distracting, telling her NO (in whatever way you can communicate that, and it register with the dog?) :?
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Your signature is great!!! Now im singing it all day LOL
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Cooper
Just Whelped

Post by Cooper »

Yeah i tell her "no" but i use another phrase. she seems to be gettingalong a lot better now. noticed it the last couple of times ive taken her to the park. she is still protective of her ball.

Cooper..Is my lastname
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

she seems to be getting along a lot better now
Great! It will get better each day. She might even built "friendships" with some dogs, i.e. recognize each other when they arrive at the dog park and "romp" around and chase each other.
One suggestion: Keep toys and treats out of the picture when she is playing with other dogs, i.e. remove what the dogs might be tempted to fight over.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I just want to interject, I agree that she should learn that she can't be offensive. But I don't think its fair or realistic to have expectations of taking her to a dog park, where other rude dogs are going to be running up to her or trying to take her object and have her be OK with that. Dog parks are not the most productive place for dogs, and even if you teach her that her behavior is completely inappropriate, that doesn't mean she should be exposed to those uncomfortable situations regularly.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

I'm going to be way more blunt than Christie; I hate dog parks. You have zero control over the other dogs, and their owners usually have zero control of them, either, and that's if they're even paying attention. IMO, very little good comes from these parks.

So, if you didn't want a project, why on earth did you get a DS? (I am not being snarky.)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Cooper wrote:I think my dog is a racist ! Not towards people, but towards other dogs...
She has gone to all the puppy socializing classes and obedience ever since we brought her home. And when I brought her home she gets along with my moms dogs okay. But ever since I moved out on my own she just hates all dogs EXCEPT for 2 doberman pinchers down at the dog park. She will run and play with them. She even lets them take her ball. She has never let any dog take her ball. A full size giant malamute tried to take her ball and she wasn't giving up her ball at all. Any thoughts or tips ? :roll:

News flash!! :) Not all dogs are social butterflies! Some love playing and interacting with other dogs, some will tolerate it, and some absolutely hate other dogs and have no need or desire to interact with them (other then to attack them), most fall some where in between. It's mostly genetic and to a degree learned response. You can teach a less social dog to tolerate the presence of other dogs, you may with time be able to convince them to play a little (if it's some thing they have in them), but you'll never convince them to love all other dogs if that's just not who they are.

If she doesn't want to share a ball with other dogs around, don't let her have the ball in situations (ie dog park) where you know there will be other dogs around. For one, you're being the poster irresponsible owner knowingly exposing other dogs to potential danger, secondly by allowing her to rehearse this behaviour you are actually making her aggressiveness worse. Plus if she ever does this to the wrong dog you could have a serious fight on your hands.

To add RE your racist comment. I'm not sure if you were just joking or if you actually think this is a race/breed bias. How the other dog acts and the vibe and body language it gives off to your dog in general have far more to do with if your dog will or won't like them then a human concept such as breed identity.
Choochi
Cooper
Just Whelped

Post by Cooper »

News Flash... If you scroll up, read the posts, you will find that she is becoing the little social butterfly !

Thanks everyone.. She has become a lot more relaxed. I did what vneerland had suggested and kept with it.
She seems to be more comfortable and less aggressive. She is more relaxed.

Why do I take my dog to the park... Because I live in the city, the brisk walk around the block doesn't do anything for her. The dog park I go to is a little bit bigger than to 2 football fields. It's really the only place that she can run full tilt.

Why did I get a DS.. I do shift work and wanted a dog that would be fully capable of ripping someones face when they break in to my house at 3am and my gf is home alone.

Racist- Dog hated all the dogs that were down there. Until she meet 2 dobermans. So yah I thought that it was a clear example of K9-Racism. She hated every other type exceot for these 2. But now she could be a PR rep for any of the major hug the planet groups, unicief, green peace, etc...She seems to be getting along with everybody right now.

And as for me.. I grew up in Scarborouugh in the 1980's. Lawrence and Orton Park Area. Then moved to Malvern, now I live in North York. So as for me being racist.. Growing up in those areas.. I would have been shot or stabbed lying in a gutter somewhere and would have been a very lonely child.

Cooper..Is my lastname
Cooper
Just Whelped

Post by Cooper »

Well after a couple of months of work my dog has graduated from racist/mean bully to walmart-greeter. she now kindly greets everyone at the park. Some lady told me the other day that its nice to have a dog at the park that greets and says hello to everybody. Thanks everyone for help !

Cooper..Is my lastname
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

LOL, nice description of your dogs greeting style. Glad to hear its working out for you guys :wtg:
Sue (and Sugar)