Training Advice

simonrisch
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am active duty military (not a dog handler) stationed in California. My wife and I have a two year old female Dutch Shepherd named Riley.

Training Advice

Post by simonrisch »

Hello,
First off if I posted this in the wrong place please move or delete and tell me the right place.

I've been on this forum a lot and have learned a ton. But I think for better advice specific to my dog and I a post just for us is needed. I am seeking advice in training my Dutch Shepherd Riley. Before I go into the training itself I’m going to give a little background information on myself and my dog.

Starting with myself, I am active duty military (not a dog handler) in Southern California. I work in aviation so I regularly work 12+ hour days, and constantly changing in between day crew to night crew. I sometimes work weekends and randomly go on dets anywhere from a few days to 6+ weeks and then of course I will have to do deployments for a minimum of 6 months.

Now to Riley. My wife and I adopted her from the San Diego Humane Society. She was listed as Dutch and German Shepherd cross which I believe but I'm going to guess and say shes 80% Dutch. They said she was picked up off the street, she was super super skinny, and personally I think she was in a dog fight. She is about two and a half years old and just the sweetest, sassiest dog ever. She is basic house trained, and does ok with the basic obedience stuff.

I want to work with her on a number of things but the biggest one in my opinion is a recall that is instant and without a doubt she will come no matter what. I also want to work with a place command, stay, and walking better on the leash. With my lifestyle I unfortunately can’t train her like a lot of working dogs or sport dogs but in the end Riley is a family dog so that's ok. I've kind of struggled working with her and I’m not afraid to admit that. That’s why I’m on here constantly trying to further educate myself. But she is very high drive and I struggle keeping eye contact and her attention (she is just trying to do her job). Yet, she is a good learner when I do have her attention. I have an e collar but haven’t used it because lack of proper training on my part.

So I know that was a lot. If I need to be more specific or need to give information just tell me. For a recap I want to work on keeping her attention, recall, place, stay, and leash work. I am all ears on any suggestions you guys have.

Thanks in advance,
Simon
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Training Advice

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Your better off getting a trainer local to you that you can work with a few times a week than having us tell you. we dont know your dog and you and you need someone right there to make corrections in that instant and help you.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Well, all of these things take a lot of repetition but here’s my :twocents:

Keeping her attention is just going to come from one way engagement. When your dog learns that all good and fun things and tasty things come from you and that they have to come and engage themselves and interact with YOU then you will get their attention. There are engagement videos you can watch on how to work on it but.

Recalling is easy but takes a lot of repition. You can do it a number of ways and with food or toys whichever your dog is more excited for. Good to work with a long lead you can real her in with from far away if she is reluctant to come back. With food, toss a piece ten feet away, when they are at that piece eating it say your recall command. Once they turn around and commit to coming back to you “click” with a clicker and give reward. Repeat. You can also just keep stepping back away from her and say the command when she comes click and reward.
With toys (tug or bite pillow) give bite or play tug for a second. Have your wife call her when she commits to her click let bite pillow or tug for a second then you call. When she commits to coming back to you “click” let bite pillow or tug. Repeat.

For place and stay you can use the same following instructions:
Find a bed or something preferably a few inches off the ground at least. Walk them up onto it. “Place” step away, click, reward. Keep doing this and just increase the time and distance you step back until she realizes that when you say place or stay that they are to stay there. If they move, no reward, take them back to the place and say the command again and try again. Just keep stepping further back waiting longer and longer. But when just starting off anything from a split second to a second or two click and reward. They’ll get it.

For leash work idk what you’re getting at. If she’s pulling on the leash or biting it you’re probably going to want to start with basic head positioning for a good solid heel but biting the leash and stuff... you’re probably going to want to get her on a prong collar and if you don’t know what you’re doing I would suggest taking her to a trainer for sure. Your dog must know what you’re asking of it and really truly understand it before you can correct it. If not your corrections may confuse the dog and cause stress and aggression with the training collars.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I think it's safe to say that a lot of people get frustrated when the advice here on the forum is to get a trainer.

But think about it. Unless you do one of those board-and-train things, the trainer is there to train you - not your dog. This is invaluable.

There's some videos, both free and ones you pay for, that will help very well. The problem with videos is that if you're doing something wrong (or what you're trying to accomplish isn't working), there's no one to tell you what YOU are doing wrong - it's rarely, if ever, the dog's fault.

I am a big fan of Meagan Karnes (aka, the Collared Scholar). She lays out methods that are easy and fun to work with the dog. I was amazed at how much easier and more fun her methodology was to what I had learned and performed with Radar.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

^what michael said. And as for me I’ve found Dave Kroger’s videos on davekroyer.com to be extremely thorough and helpful but there is a monthly charge for those videos.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Spent an hour reading the Collered Scholar. It’s a good read. Thanks for the tip.
Tim
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

the frustration comes from the people thinking we are the end all and can help them fix anything. we cant. maybe if you have one problem, or something simple, but when we are asked to help train the whole dog. we cant ( not saying the OP is) but the fact that people come here asking for help to train the dog is a bit much. we dont know the home situation, the personalities, the time, there are so many variables that we just cant help with.

It takes hours a day, working intimately with someone who knows you and your dog that can spot the "look " when the dog is frustrated or does not understand and the handler does not know that yet.

so yes, "get a trainer" is the go to answer for " how to train my dog "
ImageImage
simonrisch
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am active duty military (not a dog handler) stationed in California. My wife and I have a two year old female Dutch Shepherd named Riley.

Post by simonrisch »

Thank you all for the replies. You guys are right and I agree with you its hard to tell someone how to train a dog off a website and with the little information I gave you. But that's alright I get it I just wanted to get some small tips on whats worked for you. As far as hiring a trainer goes, I think I probably will eventually when I can afford it. I will keep looking for videos and online help in the meantime.
Thanks again for the advice
V/R,
Simon
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I understand wanting tips, but even then, I had two DS's ( one passed) and they were totally different, what would work for one, would not work for the other. each dog needs to be trained individually, we dont know the temperament. A trainer will get to know both of you and how you work together.
ImageImage