Barking at Family

Gregoryp66
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am 52 and married, I am medically retired but I don't have any issues getting around. I like being outside and moving. We have a 11 year old Chihuahua, she stays inside and does nothing, We have adopted a 3 year old Dutch Shepherd (Bella) about 4 months ago. Bella enjoys the inside but outside even better. I want to make her a running course to make her happy since she loves to run and play. I do have a few things she does that I don't like that she does and I hope that I can identify if this is normal or if this is from possible abuse and work with her to correct these things.

Barking at Family

Post by Gregoryp66 »

My Bella has a Habit of barking at my son in law and brother in law. I figure she barks at my brother in law because when he comes in the room he has to make noises that she does not like. My brother in law is a year older than me but mentally a 12 year old. He understands not to do things to bother the dog but then again like a child he does not always listen.
Now for son in law, I have not figured out why she barks at him. He tries to pet, play and be friends with her but she does not want to be friends. My thought is that Bella has realized that I come first then my wife then my daughter so she doesn't want to give up her spot as fourth in line. Bella really doesn't like for my son in law to play with their 3 year old daughter, this really sets Bella off.
We all live in the same house< I would have thought that within 5 months of being with us she would be friends with everyone that lives in this house. Is there any thoughts or ideas? Bella and are going to go to a training school this summer. I know this will be a big help.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Barking at Family

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Sounds like bella is in too busy of a house for her and its gonna get even more dangerous if you dont get into training asap! They summer is too long to wait! My personal opinion is this isnt the right home for bella
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

In general, the breed bonds strongly to a single person and merely tolerates the rest of the family. They aren't the greatest "family" dogs (some would say not at all) especially for those unfamiliar with working dogs. I don't know if that describes you, but it's something to consider.

Having said that, the path to success starts with training, mental stimulation, and of course exercise - very much in that order of priority with a strong emphasis on the training and mental stimulation.

Can the tribal cop who got you the dog help you find a trainer - someone to bridge the gap before summer? Do you have any local working dog clubs where you can go talk to other members about the dog/breed?

Just to be clear, Bella may be relatively obedience trained already, but you will want to continue reinforcing any training she already has, as well as bringing some fun and thought into the training.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

this is a protection breed,not a family dog despite what you see all over the place. You are her human and tats that. no one should try to pet her if she does not want them to, that is asking for a bit, then the dog gets in trouble when it is the humans fault.

there is no spot in line either. She knows who to protect, and who does not belong there. Shepherds dont want to be friends with, nor is that their job, they are meant to protect the herd, hence the herding dog name.

You need a trainer ASAP that knows working dogs very well, not a petco trainer or a local trainer who just trains the neighbors dog to sit.
5 months is way to long to have waited. if something is not done asap, you may have to find a new home for her.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Not to dwell on the negative side of things but I would have to agree with them. It sounds like Bella is not dealing with the new home well and does not really want to be there. Some training is definitely needed and this may not change her thoughts or feelings on the matter but will help you to mitigate the problem.

Also, it sounds like the brother in law is doing things to make the situation worse. Possibly when you’re not around as well. He also may not understand how whatever it is he is doing is actually affecting the dog. If this continues she’s gonna bite him. Only a matter of time.

I don’t mean to be rude or anything but you’re going to need to get some serious training that may cost you A couple grand and that still may not completely help your situation if the people’s behavior is not changed as well. Either that or rehome the dog.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

borellar15 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm Not to dwell on the negative side of things but I would have to agree with them. It sounds like Bella is not dealing with the new home well and does not really want to be there. Some training is definitely needed and this may not change her thoughts or feelings on the matter but will help you to mitigate the problem.

Also, it sounds like the brother in law is doing things to make the situation worse. Possibly when you’re not around as well. He also may not understand how whatever it is he is doing is actually affecting the dog. If this continues she’s gonna bite him. Only a matter of time.

I don’t mean to be rude or anything but you’re going to need to get some serious training that may cost you A couple grand and that still may not completely help your situation if the people’s behavior is not changed as well. Either that or rehome the dog.
Honestly if i came to evaluate the situation I'd suggest to find a better suited home for the dog... this dogs temperament obviously is not sound and the dog is stressed... it's not fair to the dog... who knows training could help it but it won't be a quick fix and needs attention tomorrow before someone gets bit...
Gregoryp66
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am 52 and married, I am medically retired but I don't have any issues getting around. I like being outside and moving. We have a 11 year old Chihuahua, she stays inside and does nothing, We have adopted a 3 year old Dutch Shepherd (Bella) about 4 months ago. Bella enjoys the inside but outside even better. I want to make her a running course to make her happy since she loves to run and play. I do have a few things she does that I don't like that she does and I hope that I can identify if this is normal or if this is from possible abuse and work with her to correct these things.

Post by Gregoryp66 »

I see what you all are saying and I agree the house is to busy for her. If my brother in law is the only one home with her Bella stays outside or will stay in my bedroom. She knows those two places are safe for her. Bella can be an aggressive dog I know but she has never tried to hurt anybody at our house, and I pray it stays that way.She listens very well to me and my daughter. I tell everyone not to talk to her and not to try and pet her, if she wants something from you she will let you know. Pus my granddaughter will be 4 this year and Bella loves her a lot also. Bella protects her and watches over her. Which is really nice. We live on 3 acres so when Bella goes outside she has all kinds of room to run. I don't go outside much when it is cold but I have started taking Bella out to run around to relieve the stress and after about 15 minutes of running she is calm and happy. She chose me as I did for her and the two of us are learning everyday. She never leaves my side, she follows me to the kitchen, to the bathroom, outside, we go for car rides, we do almost everything together.

Hopefully within the next few weeks my daughter and her family will be moved out. My son in law is joining the army and he is waiting on a waver to be granted and they will be moving on.

I am going to take Bella to the K9 University so we both can be trained to be better for each other and I am looking at agility equipment to buy and she can be even happier and we can have fun. I just got her a few months ago. I am hoping that she will be happy and this be her home. It does take time not just for her but all of us. I will keep everyone informed on our progress and if it doesn't work out then I will find her a home.
I thank everyone for their input. I think she came from a bad home and she just wants to belong to a good family.