Separation Anxiety

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Separation Anxiety

Post by Dutchringgirl »

At home when I leave Thalie, she is in her crate because she will chew everything trying to get out. At my parents she is an angel, will just sleep until we get back........ Until now. My parents and I went out to dinner, only gone for an hour, their Basset Hound stayed home too and they get along perfectly. When we got home Thalie had chewed the basement door trying to get out. She is good about waiting to go to the bathroom so its not that. She has been staying at my parents house for about 8 years now and never had a problem. I dont know what changed.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Re: Separation Anxiety

Post by Sugars Mom »

Well that sucks!!

Maybe she is looking for more attention...have you been giving Sadie any extra attention since you found out she has hip displaysia? I don't know, from reading your post, I know that is something new...

Hope it stops, whatever it is. Expensive bad habit!
Sue (and Sugar)

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

She's tired of Sadie gnawing on her... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I try not to favor either one, they are usually together so attention goes to both. Unless it has to do with Sadie in general. Thalie still has her spots in the kitchen she sits in so she is near me, she is usually always next to me anyway.

I looked on the site that Christie mentioned about the aroma for the dogs, I may get a collar or two for them.
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Dutchringgirl wrote:At home when I leave Thalie, she is in her crate because she will chew everything trying to get out. At my parents she is an angel, will just sleep until we get back........ Until now. My parents and I went out to dinner, only gone for an hour, their Basset Hound stayed home too and they get along perfectly. When we got home Thalie had chewed the basement door trying to get out. She is good about waiting to go to the bathroom so its not that. She has been staying at my parents house for about 8 years now and never had a problem. I dont know what changed.
Late onset Separation Anxiety is very, very common (not speaking about DS here, just in general). It usually creeps up at adolescence or during the senior years. Some folks believe it is the first sign of some cognitive issues (we ALL go through that ;-).

I would recommend the DAP, but also maybe upping her mental stimulation some. not just asking her to do the things she already knows how to do, but teach her some new tricks and problems to solve. Also, high levels of antioxidants are supposed to help if it is cognitive at all - reduces free radicals and makes the brain more efficient.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Wow, thanks Christie for the information. Ill get on teaching her things, she does love to work. Ill look into antioxidants too.
ImageImage
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Where was Sadie?

My old dog has had SA his whole life. The rules are that he has to be with me or Vada or in the van. My husband seems to be acceptable now too. If one of those thing is not present then he stresses the entire time. Also, even if Vada is with him if he can see me or hear me in the house and not be able to get to me house then he freaks too. And then we end up with side effects later - usually in the middle of the night.

Learning the triggers helps to manage it. I wonder if there was something different this time that she picked up on that you didn't.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

This time Sadie was at Day care, she is still a bit much for my parents, I was out for the day. Last time though Sadie was there, when we went out, Thalie and Sootie ( Bassett) were free in the basement and Sadie was in a crate with them. Thalie still had anxiety. Most times if I go away, my parents will take Thalie right from my house and take her home and Sadie will be boarded, they say thalie is fine except for pacing, when they go out they take both dogs. But again, in the past Thalie has been left at their house and did nothing.
ImageImage
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Marco wanted to point out the purple sun glasses might have had an effect on her :geek: :whistle:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Schlussdibusti wrote:Marco wanted to point out the purple sun glasses might have had an effect on her :geek: :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage