Just registered? Read This
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
Columns and Rows in your posts?
Photo Uploads - Updated Instructions
Latest K9 Products Series - Suppliers
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other breeds that may be the source of your brindle dog

This forum has a Facebook page. Click here and like the page to stay up to date with all the latest activity.
Did you know you can embed YouTube videos in your posts? Instructions Here

Dry kibble brands?

Dietary/feeding issues
Jas31663166
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Working dog owner

Dry kibble brands?

Post by Jas31663166 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Ok, so I've been doing alot of research and trying to find the best kibble for my ds

Does anyone have any recommendations on dry kibble, i have found 2 brands that im thinking about purchasing
Any thoughts?

1. EUKANUBA 30/20
2. Purina sport 30/20

:huh:

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Dry kibble brands?

Post by Steve Gossmeyer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:29 pm

I feed the 30/20 taste of the wild

I know most will say stay away from purina but I fed the proplan 30/20 for years and my old dog is in great shape at 9 years old... I only switched to taste of the wild because that's what the rescue I work for feeds their dogs I have plus free food lol

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:37 pm

check out Dogfoodadvisor they have all of the info for you

My parents fed Purina for ever and the dogs were fine.

I feed Orajen and Acana
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage

Jas31663166
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Working dog owner

Post by Jas31663166 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks for the info guys!!

Duke
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:53 am

Dogfoodadvisor is a great source. I've been giving Wellness Core, Ocean something... supposedly excellent protein and all the fish oils for a nice coat.

I want to go raw food though, let him tear into some meat

DaHawaiianDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:21 pm

We do Fromm's Large breed puppy!
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)

Duke
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Post by Duke » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:25 pm

DaHawaiianDS wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:21 pm
Nice, I haven't read anything up on it. I'm sure your pup loves it. Any particular food benefits that guided you toward it?

DaHawaiianDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Duke wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:25 pm
DaHawaiianDS wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:21 pm
Nice, I haven't read anything up on it. I'm sure your pup loves it. Any particular food benefits that guided you toward it?
Here is the nutrition info for the food. The foods we decided between had to meet the AAFCO nutriet profile. https://frommfamily.com/products/gold/d ... -analysis/

We looked for optimal amounts of phosphorus and calcium, as well as protein and vitamins for development. I wanted to make sure that caloric content was high, but not too high. I followed a lot of this advice: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog ... uppy-food/
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)

montecarlogirl87
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Post by montecarlogirl87 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm pretty lucky that my two seem to have iron stomachs and changes don't seem to bother them, so I can change things up for them so they're not eating the same thing, every day, forever... I tend to stick with anything in the 4-5 star range on DFA and get what's got a good deal at the time

I've fed...
Blue
Canidae
Crave
Evolve
Merrick
Muenster
Nutro
Organix
Victor
Wellness Core
Whole Earth Farms

I keep an eye out for other brands like Acana, Fromm, Orijen, Solid Gold and TotW, but normally I can get a deal on one of the others at the time
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Human companion to Radar and Leela

Post by centrop67 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 pm

I feed Earthborn Meadow Feast to my dogs.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/earthborn-holistic-grain-free/ wrote:Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Dog Food receives the Advisor’s second-highest tier rating of 4.5 stars.

The Earthborn Holistic Grain Free product line includes six dry dog foods.
Each recipe below includes its related AAFCO nutrient profile when available on the product’s official webpage: Growth, Maintenance, All Life Stages, Supplemental or Unspecified.

Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Large Breed (4 stars) [M]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Coastal Catch (5 stars) [A]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Meadow Feast (4 stars) [M]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Weight Control (4 stars) [M]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Primitive Natural (5 stars) [A]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Great Plains Feast (5 stars) [A]

Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Great Plains Feast was selected to represent the other products in the line for this review.
I switched from Blue Buffalo Grain Free after identifying some things that Radar is allergic to.
Michael
The pack -> Radar (DS), Leela (Mal?), and Karen (Human) - Cutler Bay, FL USA
RIP: Tequila and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

TimL_168
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi,
Short and sweet here- I'm a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. I'm looking for a more energetic dog that had the same intelligence and trainability. I'm interested in advice, opinions, and a place to share experiences.

Post by TimL_168 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:41 pm

En's old handler told me she just picked whatever top tier food was on sale that week. En has a stomach like the sled dogs; if it fits, it ships.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor

Duke
Green Dog

Post by Duke » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:18 pm

montecarlogirl87 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:47 pm
I'm pretty lucky that my two seem to have iron stomachs and changes don't seem to bother them, so I can change things up for them so they're not eating the same thing, every day, forever... I tend to stick with anything in the 4-5 star range on DFA and get what's got a good deal at the time

I've fed...
Blue
Canidae
Crave
Evolve
Merrick
Muenster
Nutro
Organix
Victor
Wellness Core
Whole Earth Farms

I keep an eye out for other brands like Acana, Fromm, Orijen, Solid Gold and TotW, but normally I can get a deal on one of the others at the time
good idea to save money

DaHawaiianDS
Puppy

Post by DaHawaiianDS » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:22 am

Oh it's so good to hear that! We've fed our other dog the best deal from the dfa for some added variety but had been warned that DS have sensitive tums that can't handle switching it up like that so we didn't try. We just picked a good puppy food and stuck with it. Good to know many DS are fine with variety! Once we've got this growing thing down we'll look into switching it up. Kapena is still really skinny to spite our increasing his food to 3.5 cups! Every time I feed him more he makes more muscle and still stays thin! We're starting to worry a bit about it even though our vet said they tend to sprout up, fill up, sprout up again. He's SO STRONG and only 4 months old!

Joxgirl
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Brought a Dutch Shepherd into our lives.

Post by Joxgirl » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:01 am

We use Life's Abundance for large breed puppies
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd)-19 weeks old.
Phoenix (Lab rescue) -10 y/o
Charley (Malti-Poo; rescue)-4 y/o