where to start

Dietary/feeding issues
lisaanne
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.

where to start

Post by lisaanne »

Been going through many of these older forums and am impressed by some of your feeding plans. Currently I'd say I give my dogs a fairly varied diet, but I KNOW I tend to over-feed. I don't know why I do this, and I am working on it.....

Anyhoo, I'd really like to switch over to raw, or at least give it an honest effort. Can ya'll please give me a synopsis, some pointers, or some suggestions on how to begin? A little help is needed, and perhaps some references to turn to when the "fam" gives me grief..."you're not feeding them that are you?"

All I know is that my dogs LOVE to eat ANY critters they find out in the wild, regardless or smell, and they will devour every bit of it. Just the other day I saw a squirrel tail hanging out of Puddles' mouth. Last week, they were fussing over a skeletal fish carcass. The only vegetarian aspect I ever see is Beta's love of eating fresh, new growth "baby grass". (one of my boy beagles also loved grass) She actually grazes on it, lol Even when running around, mid-stride she'll snatch up a mouthful of grass.

Any input appreciated.
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan

Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Re: where to start

Post by CaroleBoaz »

This is where I started, even before I owned a dog.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

But basically, it's combining bone, muscle and organs in appropriate ratios to simulate a whole animal. Though, you need to start slowly with the organ meat. The first time I gave my dog just a teaspoon of chicken liver, he had diarrhea for 2 days.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Go to the Yahoo group that Carol posted, thats where I went and learned alot. I just started buying chicken and giving it to them, then I just started price shopping. Just cut it up and feed it. Learn to ignore the grief, my parents cant believe I feed raw. But I know its the best. My mom thinks its the worst thing in the world !! Its the bacteria that they get hung up on. I get a big pork on bone and start hacking away.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Drizlaru
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.

Post by Drizlaru »

A properly managed raw diet is simply "The Best" diet for your dog. The extra effort it takes will do your dog a great service.

More good information about a RAW diet. http://leerburg.com/webboard/topiclist.php?forum_id=12
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Drizlaru wrote:A properly managed raw diet is simply "The Best" diet for your dog. The extra effort it takes will do your dog a great service.

More good information about a RAW diet. http://leerburg.com/webboard/topiclist.php?forum_id=12

thanks for this link!! Currently feeding Orijen, but have been thinking of switching to Honest Kitchen and the link had a really good video about their food. Can't do raw :eew: it grosses me out :lol:

good info on that link.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Honest Kitchen is good, but most people still add some raw meat to it. Some complaints about weight loss also when fed on its own.
I don't understand why folks are so grossed out about raw meat. How do you make a hamburger without touching it, or fry some chicken without coating it and putting it in the pan? All you have to do is cut to the proper size and hand it to the dog, and let them eat. If you don't know how then, ask the butcher to cut it up.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

:lol: :lol: i know, it's silly. i could do raw hamburger meat, it's the poultry that gets me :eew:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
lisaanne
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.

Post by lisaanne »

Thanks for all the info, looking into all of it. I'm not worried about them not being able to "tolerate" something they eat. I mean, Puddles has found 6 month old fish carcasses/skeletal remains, various all ready dead rodents, etc and loves every nasty morsel. I've done a few different raw meats to judge where their tastes lay and Puddles wants it ALL. Beta is a bit more picky, but she loves food, so we should do fine.

I know most say they don't need veggies/fruits but I know that most of my dogs simply LOVE broccoli....and Beta is a big-time grass eater.

Thanks again!
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan

Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

lisaanne wrote: I know most say they don't need veggies/fruits but I know that most of my dogs simply LOVE broccoli....and Beta is a big-time grass eater.
The thing is, most studies are created to disprove a previous study. And any scientist will agree that any study over 5 years old is moot because the data is outdated. So whatever we think we know right now won't matter in 5 years. Dogs have lived to be over 20 years eating packaged cardboard. If you are doing better than that, you are on the right track and can feel very good about yourself. As of yet, I have only found information saying dogs don't "need" veggies and carbs. But there is nothing that I can find that says its actually harmful (unless your dog has a proven allergy). So I think the more variety the better, as long as long as the basics are covered.

Its only been recently that it has been decided that dogs are carnivores and not omnivores. We'll see when that changes. Also, there has been a big shift from the AFCO standards of what a dog "needs to survive" vs what is needed to thrive. I wonder if that frame of reference will start to influence the raw world and people will learn (or be validated) that dogs may survive on meaty bones, but maybe not thrive physically.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown