Wellness CORE Food?

Dietary/feeding issues
FlipFlop
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Flip- Dutch Shepherd- 2 years old

Wellness CORE Food?

Post by FlipFlop »

I'm currently feeding Merrick Grain Free Food (the Buffalo one). Flip loves it but my local petco doesn't always have it which is problematic. I am thinking of switching to another grain free food- and there's a company that will pre-portion it and ship it to you which is what I do for my horses supplements- so easy!

I am considering switching him to Wellness CORE Origional Formula. First 5 ingredients are: Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, and Potatoes.

Anyone have experience with this food or know of it's quality level?

Thanks!!
Kirsten
Flip- DS- 2 1/2 years old
Chicago Subarbs
alexis
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: Wellness CORE Food?

Post by alexis »

My sense is that Wellness is a more reputable company than Merrick (I have family members who work in the pet food industry and have opinions on that sort of thing, and I'm just passing along their opinion).

My understanding of the rule of thumb for kibble is that you want the first few ingredients to be meat and meat meals, so it seems good on that score. I know some people don't like relying on poultry for a meat source, but I do it for Zane since he tolerates chicken better than beef and lamb and fish. So that's really up to you.

The real test if if Flip likes it and does well on it - that's really all that matters in the end.
alexis & zane in NYC
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

My Labs did very well with Wellness Core.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

FlipFlop wrote: and there's a company that will pre-portion it and ship it to you which is what I do for my horses supplements- so easy!

I am considering switching him to Wellness CORE Origional Formula. First 5 ingredients are: Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, and Potatoes.
Pre-portion the wellness core? I don't understand...

I looked at this food and wanted to try it for Sugar 'cause I liked the ingredients but where I buy her food doesn't carry it...only other wellness foods.
Sue (and Sugar)

FlipFlop
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Flip- Dutch Shepherd- 2 years old

Post by FlipFlop »

Sugars Mom wrote:
FlipFlop wrote: and there's a company that will pre-portion it and ship it to you which is what I do for my horses supplements- so easy!

Pre-portion the wellness core? I don't understand...

I looked at this food and wanted to try it for Sugar 'cause I liked the ingredients but where I buy her food doesn't carry it...only other wellness foods.
Yep! Check it out at http://www.smartpakequine.com and click on the Dog tab at the top. They only have a few food choices to choose from, but they will pre-portion the bags and ship them for free, and ship them automatically once a month. I do the same thing with my horses supplements and it is wonderful, and really no extra cost because of the free shipping. I am also in Illinois where I pay about 10% sales tax so I actually save on the tax by buying from Smartpak which is an added bonus. Now I sound like an advertisement for them! ;)

I think I am going to make the switch and try it for a month- Flip isn't a picky eater so I'm pretty confident that he will like it. Thanks for the input!
Kirsten
Flip- DS- 2 1/2 years old
Chicago Subarbs
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

hmmm, interesting. The pre-portion sounds convenient, and the food would stay fresher as the container isn't being opened everyday, but more packaging to recycle or throw away. I didn't see if they ship to Canada.
Sue (and Sugar)

Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

We buy from Smart Pack as well. I love that its on the door step when I need it. I don't see a need for the portioned containers, but have had lots of female clients buy them claiming that the men in the house can't measure. LOL. Just reciting what they said...
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown