What would you guys recommend?

Dietary/feeding issues
Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Re: What would you guys recommend?

Post by Tappy4me »

Another question. I picked up a bag of Wellness Core Puppy a couple of days ago, and Rufus seems to really like it. Transitioning him from the Pollux stuff he's on now. No diarrhea anymore since he's been on the better stuff, so we'll finish up the bag of his previous stuff then he'll just be on wellness. (Unless we can find Fromm or one of the other decently priced good ones at the feed store.)

However, we are feeding him just over 1/3rd cup 3x a day currently. His food aggression is dwindling rapidly, but he really scarfs his food down. I think he was starved as a young pup. We have a slow feed bowl for him, and that is helping.

With him being so large at 14 weeks (29.65 lbs), we don't want to overfeed him, but we don't want to under feed him either. He's extremely bony right now, but we don't want him to get sick by scarfing too much food either.

How much would you guys recommend us to feed him? Should we increase to 1/2 cup 3x a day or more?
Owned by Flint (American Eskimo Dog) and Rufus (Dutch Shepherd mix) :)

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

I WOULD AT THE LEAST QUADRUPLE HIS FOOD PORTIONS IMMEDIATELY! 1 cup a day is barely enough to keep him alive. please read "WHY IS SHE SO SKINNY" in this same section - the comments by me and by Christie M.
regardless of other potential reasons there may or may not be, his lack of food is enough to completely explain why he is trying to inhale his food. give him the food he needs and hopefully he will slow down, but starving him will do just the opposite - he is desperate and will only get more so with so little food.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I didn't even see the portions amount until now. Typically I've fed puppies what they'd eat as adults, but in more meals, usually 3-4 meals depending on the dog and age. I mostly feed raw, but I feed Fromm kibble now when I have to go with a kibble. My adult DSs eat 4+ cups a day, or the equivalent raw mix. I spread that out over the day with kongs, treat dispensing toys, and training. Meal time is usually left with 2.5 cups. Elli only weighs 40lbs and Odin weighs 72, but she eats way more than him.

At this point, if your dog is skinny, don't worry about overfeeding. Spread the amount out over multiple meals and judge by how your dog looks and feel. If Rufus starts to get heavy or vommits from too much food, cut it back. I don't think overfeeding is going to be much of an issue at this point. You'll know if he's gaining too much weight.

If I had a puppy, it would probably all be coming from interactive toys. Why not combine meal time and mental stimulation? There are so many different toys and puzzles on the market now you could use a different one for every meal.

In the past I've fed Orijen and Acana as well as 4Health from TSC, but Fromm is really affordable for us now and they have a good line of regular and grain free foods. One I get the kennel going I might bring in some other brands to sell retail and then could go with a more expensive kibble since I'll get it at a discount, but we've been happy with our source for now. I was concerned when they appeared in Pet Supplies Plus as most small kibble companies can't handle the big demand of the box stores, but so far I haven't seen any problems.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Post by Tappy4me »

Thanks guys. Will up his portions immediately.

@Lyons, we use some of his food as treats for training as well.

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

Knew what to feed as an adult but we weren't sure on how much initially to give as a pup at his age. Glad to hear we can't overfeed!

~Jess
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

yes, let Rufus be more the judge. my 2 younger puppies have been consistently eating 5 - 7 cups a day and remain skinny without being boney or ribs showing, but still close to that too-skinny edge. but they are very active much of the day entertaining themselves when i am not fulfilling that role for them.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

One cup is definitley not enough for a 30 lb puppy...here is a link to the feeding guidelines for weight and age with this food

\http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product- ... guidelines
Sue (and Sugar)