RAW/BARF recipes

Dietary/feeding issues
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

RAW/BARF recipes

Post by icvanstra »

I'm wondering what recipe people use for their RAW/BARF diets.

How much time do you put into preparing the food?

How long does it store? If frozen how long does it keep after thawing it out?

In another post I saw that they dehydrated the RAW...what does that do to storage?
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: RAW/BARF recipes

Post by leih merigian »

Since I buy prepared raw, the preparation time is minimal. The brand I get is just the right mix of muscle/organ and bone, and I add my own supplements.

I get it in 10lb chubs, partially thaw them and repack in 1 lb containers. So, I take out about 2 lbs at a time (different kinds), thaw it, feed it, and it never goes rancid (I'm feeding a pup and two cats). It can go about 4 days this way, if not consumed, before starting to get too ripe, but the way I do it, it doesn't have a chance to get rancid.

I also give RMBs several times a week.

Are you thinking of converting to raw, Eric?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

I've been thinking about it for a while...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Well, look for a co-op to join and you can get some decent prices on the premade raw, which is a pretty easy way to wade in.

When I travel, if I'm going to be gone for a fairly longish time, I just get dehydrated raw.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Hey Eric,

I switched back a few months ago and am thrilled. Dante was on K/D for a few months with marginal kidney values. Since being on raw, his blood work earlier this month was better than it was 5 years ago.

I don't stress too much over the specifics for most of the dogs (Dante's diet is based loosely on a kidney preparation). My main base is thigh quarters that I buy by the case (40#) for 0.39-0.56 cents a pound. I feed anywhere from 1-3% body weight in meat/bone depending on the dog. I also make up a veggie/fruit mixture on Sundays that I feed them through out the week. I buy whatever is cheap ad seasonal. Likewise, I do feed rice or some other grain source. I know that all of the raw gurus say they don't "need" it, but I figure if its not hurting anything and they can live 18 years on Old Roy - so why not. I do mix up my proteins sometimes, feeding venison, beef, fish, whatever when I get it. Mostly, I just try to have variation. Keep in ming, I am currently feeding raw to 12 dogs. So your 2 will be EASY!

I can say that the prep time does take up a few hours on Sunday - especially grinding for the Frenchies. But that time spent is WAY compensated for by clean kennel runs. I used to have to clean the working dog runs twice a day - and the finger painters made it HARD. Now if they they go to the bathroom, there is barely anything in the run and most all of the dogs are clean. I LOVE it! So I have gained a few hours of my life back.

I know that people really analyse exactly what dogs need, in what percentages...etc. I'm not going to say that that is not important. But I do think that way too much stress is put into it. I live very well off of diet coke, beer and pizza. Probably shouldn't.... but ya know. I think that if you keep things a bit varied and address the major needs of the animal (and dogs are now classified as carnivores, not omnivores), you will be doing better than most. Remember that these animals evolved in conjunction with man living off of our refuse. Its only been recently that they are granted the privilege of eating better than most humans.

If you want to take it slow, just buy a few bags of leg quarters and replace one kibble meal with it per day. Watch them, make sure they chew - not swallow whole. Check their teeth now, and then 2 weeks after that experiment. You'll be sold in no time ;-)
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Christie M wrote: If you want to take it slow, just buy a few bags of leg quarters and replace one kibble meal with it per day. Watch them, make sure they chew - not swallow whole. Check their teeth now, and then 2 weeks after that experiment. You'll be sold in no time ;-)
I'm not a raw feeder... but I'd like to be! (no freezer space, and live in an apt, so another freezer isn't really an option at this point) I've done LOTS of research on raw, and just have to throw this caution out:

It can get ugly if you feed raw AND kibble. They both digest at different speeds, and you can really get an upset gut if the 2 intersect, and bacteria mixes. I do know of some people that feed both, and they go on a days at a time plan. Ex: weekdays raw, weekends kibble for convenience, but with at least a 12 hour fast between the switch on both ends.

I can't personally attest to how this all works, or if it even does, but it sure makes lots of sense to me. Kibble would digest much much slower, as it's processed, baked, and chock full of non-natural stuff. Raw is pure, natural, and would digest faster, but does have a much different bacteria load then the kibble would.

It's just something to consider. I've read of lots of 1st hand accounts of a cold turkey switch to raw. Fast your dog 36-48 hours (assuming it's an adult dog, with no health issues!) and start on skinless chicken backs which has the appropriate calcium/ phosphorus ratio (bone/muscle meat), and then add in skin, organ meats, whatever from there, one at a time, waiting for 'good' poop before going to a new item.

I'll admit, I'm paranoid, as Koenig is prone to digestive trouble. That's how I would do the switch though. :)
Kelly
Koenig
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Since my dogs are "house dogs" with no kennels ... if I feed it to them and they run across the room and jump on the couch with the leg quarter, I know have chicken crap on my couch/floor/bed/etc...

I openly admit that I'm not the best house keeper in the world. :roll: But adding that to the mix I'm not thrilled about. Does it seem to be less when you grind it all up Christie?
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Eric, I have been feeding raw venison for about 8 years now and I too have a large canine crew to feed. The dogs get venison every other day alternating with kibble and veggie scraps from our lunches that are catered at my office. So far, so good. I dont grind and just hack the leg bones, ribs, etc in meal portions so they get the whole chunk. I do feed in their crates therefore no real mess. I throw away the bones (if there is anything left which there is usually not) after they are finished. That way I can keep them from finding a dried bone later with the potential to splinter if chewed. All I have to do is pull out a bag from the freezer and everyone heads to their crates without even being told!!! I love hanging out and watching/listening to those wild canine sounds of them tearing and pulling the meat off the bones!! Okay, doesnt take much to please me but I do get a thrill out of watching them. I have never fed chicken or anything else raw so I can not attest to that but venison is of course not tainted with hormones or antibiotics or arsenic or whatever else, just pure clean protein!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:shock: :eek: Poor Bambi.......... :cry: ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Denise,

No worries about the blood/parts/remnants in their crates? Do clean them daily/weekly?
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

icvanstra wrote:Denise,

No worries about the blood/parts/remnants in their crates? Do clean them daily/weekly?
Actually, there is usually nothing left in their crates as they usually consume every bit of it, bones and all. After they are finished and settled for a little while, I let them out to potty while I just wipe out the crate bottom with a rag dipped in bleach water. About once every 2 weeks, I scrub crates. Frequency also depending on muddy weather. You could put down newspaper in the bottom of the crate if you want and just remove and dispose. That is a thought but I have a lot more than you.

One thing I try to do is make sure that I freeze the venison first before I feed. I volunteer at our zoo and they do the same with their raw meat before feeding the meat-eaters like the lions and wolves. Supposedly freezing kills some of the bacteria. There is no way I could afford the same quality meat in the amount that I receive from the 80-90 deer carcasses just given to me every season. Before I started getting it, they were just dumping it in the river.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana