Changing diet

Dietary/feeding issues
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: Changing diet

Post by Stacy_R »

HeatherH wrote:OMG Dutch's backended farts while snoring. OMG and that was on kibble your telling me they'll get worst? OMG!
No. Not necessarily. You just have to know your dog. Pork makes Tyson gassy, so he doesn't get it very often. Bully sticks give my miniature schnauzer horrible gas, so she doesn't get those. Too much organ meat can make a dog gassy and give them dire rear. It's trial and error. What works for one dog may not work for another...Tyson needs more bone that my other two. Like I said earlier....The rule to raw is: know thy dog.
Dutch may do better on raw (i.e. less gassy) than kibble.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

if done well/correctly, i would think almost anything would be less gassy than kibble. i have to get mine off kibble again!

everything else being equal, the PP-CJ should improve his gastro-intestinal health modestly. the ''bio-sponge'' component they also sell as a separate product - which i sometimes use for gastro upset that does not rise to the level of medical intervention. it is surprisingly effective.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I'm reading all this stuff about farts and H starts farting up a storm. Just a non-helpful comment.

I'm going to have to go through and read all this great info on RAW and digestive good stuff.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

Ok just a quick update. I posted that you're supposed to bake treats with carrot flour instead of wheat. I was told this by a baker I cannot find anything on the net to substantiate it. Sorry

Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

johninny wrote:
instead, concentrate on herbs like oregano [ which you can grow a ton of most of the year once the plant establishes itself ], thyme [ easy to grow in less quantity ], saffron [ can grow on annual basis ], rosemary [ tough to be perennial in colder areas, but possible if protect in winter]. these also help protect from internal and external parasites and act as excellent prebiotics. oh, dandelion is highly recommended for dogs, helping their digestive system, dramatically increasing the bio-availability of nutrients in their food.

How much do you feed them?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

oregano - during the season, which can be long if a brutal winter does not set in early like last year, i give each dog the leaves off 2 or more 8'' fully-leafed stems. it is hard to say other than that, but it is quite a bit - definitely enough for them to notice with all their senses. off season, i sprinkle on dried oregano or thyme that i either make myself if season allows or buy in bulk, but the quantity is just a fraction of what they get fresh. but then, they need it more in non-winter months.

fennel - which i did not mention - about 1/3 of a cup of chopped fresh fennel [ the green feathery leaves ] split among the 3 of them. i try that as a minimum, but will do MUCH more if the harvesting easily provides more that day. [ i harvest their greens a few minutes to a couple hours before meal prep.] fennel tends to have a very long growing season, but when not available in the garden, they each get a capsule of fennel extract with their food every few days, but they miss out on the great prebiotic effects of the fresh. Tracer - and occasionally Xander - supplements the above portions by tearing entire plants out by their roots and eating everything but the root; he seems driven to get more fennel as if it is a burning need. on this score, he seems of the 3 most in touch with his bodily needs and extends this passion to bones, antlers, winter kale, tomatoes, squash, and certain billowy types of grasses.

rosemary - if i had success in growing a lot, they would get a huge amount. as it is, i buy bunches in the winter and add modest amounts to their food.

dandelion - in winter, i buy dandelion leaves and chop up 1 or 2 leaves [ depending on size ] for each dog. in summer, i forage for it in garden and yard and they get on occasion. when not getting the real thing [ i am not consistent with dandelion even though it is HIGHLY recommended for dogs' digestive health ], i try to give then dandelion capsules, but have my doubts about effectiveness of extract vs the whole leaf, especially lacks the powerful prebiotic effect [?] and may well lack the digestive aid also [?? anybody know ?].

edible marigolds [ saffron ] - they each get about 10 - 15 flowers plus a few leafy bits every day during the season [ late may through september or oct ]. they are annual, so require new plants every year - and it takes several plants uncrowded - getting full sun - to produce in sufficient quantity. generally cannot buy this, so MUST grow; the rare place that does offer it has small quantities at sky-high prices so it definitely pays to plant it. the rest of the year, i give each dog a 6mg ''floraGLO'' lutein [and zeaxanthin ] [ both derived from marigolds ] softgel from vitamin shoppe every 3 days at least.
these phyto-chemicals help protect the eyes from the sun, helping to prevent cataracts. as part of this eye health regimen, each day of the year the dogs get split among them the contents of a 60mg capsule of bilberry extract standardized to 25% anthocyanins.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
johninny
Working Dog

Post by johninny »

a correction to my 1st post in this thread:
not important, but i stated that Platinum Performance -CJ has other odd, extra ingredients that i like [which is true], but i mistakenly cited marigold extract as an example, and that is not the case, which is why my separate eye-health regimen for the dogs is all the more important.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I just ordered the PPCJ, Sadie seems ouchy lately. What do you use for eye health?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog

Post by johninny »

the marigolds and bilberry extract as described in last paragraph of post going back 3 before this one. i should say, edible marigolds are tiny flowers [dime-sized - not the usual bigger and fluffier ones you think of when marigolds come up ] and have leaves that are feathery - more fern-like, hardly qualifying as leaves. the leaves are particularly exquisite [ taste and smell; it IS saffron ], but hard to get the leafy part in any quantity. so i concentrate on the use of flowers which bloom continuously and by the hundreds on each healthy plant.

the PP-CJ is excellent for assuring well-balanced, basic and exotic nutrition no matter what. nevertheless, i find though that with an older dog or any other dog needing extra joint support, one can SEE the benefits of ADDING a high-bio-available-for-dogs glucosamine, etcetera, pill such as Cosequin or the one Christie said was equivalent and was sold at walmart. [ i THINK she said that was Spring Valley, which is what i will look for next time i need direct doses, but need to check her post first for exact name...it was Spring-something.]

i think EVERY dog - or at least shepherds and other working and/or active dogs - should get a minimum amount of glucosamine[ etc.] and ascorbyl palmitate [ very effective form of vit c ] from puppyhood, even if it does not appear to be needed, as both of these individually, but particularly the vit.c, have been shown in scientific studies to dramactically reduce hip and joint problems, even in dogs prone to HipD. in fact, in many dogs where HipD should have manifested as judged by x-rays, it NEVER did if dog had a lifetime of vit. c [ statistically very significant in controlled studies !]; and starting vit c improved the condition of dogs already experiencing problems [even HipD!].

so for my puppies, they do not get extra glucosamine [ really for reasons of cost], beyond the CJ [''complete joint''] in PP-CJ, but each does get a daily dose of 1000mg of ascorbyl palmitate. if any of them started to get ''ouchy'' or get temporary sprains from play, i would put him on additional, direct glucosamine immediately and probably permanently. i will also do this regardless as they get older, considering it when dog reaches 3-4 yo and definitely have each dog on additional joint meds by the time they reach 6 yo. Judging by human aging, around 3 is probably when their natural production of joint and tendon protection starts to ebb, and, by the time they reach 6, it is probably dangerously low and really needs serious supplementation.

i will probably opt for 1 pill/week to start around 3 and progress to 1/day as 5th or 6th birthdays approach, depending on tendency to sprain [ which is nil in Sakima, for example -- never 1 sprain despite his outdoorsman craziness, whereas Tracer and especially Xander should probably go to full daily protection earlier - whether that is 3 or 4 or 5 yo we will see].

finally the omega-3 in PP-CJ is the most complete AND bio-available form possible - coming from algae as it does - so that is also a nice aid in helping everything function as it should in the dogs.