Puppy food

Dietary/feeding issues
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Puppy food

Post by Mobil »

I recently read on Leerburg's site that puppies should go off puppy food at five months because it causes them to grow too fast and have skeletal problems.

Is this sound advice?

We're coming up on five months with the pups, and it's almost time to get more food. I'll move up to getting the food I fed Delco if that's the case.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Re: Puppy food

Post by karenz »

Xander was on blue buffalo puppy until somewhere around 6 months or so. He lost interest in it so I switched him to merricks grain free, all life stages. I'm not saying this was the right way of doing it but his growth rate seemed fine and he loves his food.
Karen & Xander
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

H is about to go off his puppy food at a year old. I thought I read somewhere Orijen was formulated to prevent sudden fast growth spurts and since he seemed to always grow at a steady rate I didn't have a problem with keeping him on it longer. I think it's mainly about the calcium ratio they're worried about...?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Tripmomma
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My family welcomed our first DSD 12/14. I have shown GSD's and APBT's in conformation, my goal is to have more of a working interest with our Dutchie. My husband and I have 4 young children, Kitsune adores them. Kitsune has begun IPO training, we hope to get her BH in 2016. We are in love with this breed and have plans to import a male pup soon.

Post by Tripmomma »

In GSDs most breeders I knew stopped puppy food at 4 months, for this same reason. It helped with slowing growth, pups didn't seem to deal with pano or down pasterns as much too.

I plan to stop puppy food with Kitsune around 4-5 months.
~*~Katrina~*~
Kitsune de las Flores 10/14