Supplements

Dietary/feeding issues
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Supplements

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

So I know there's a few different people giving supplements here but I cannot for the life of me remember what they were. I've recently had to switch H to a restricted "home cooked" regimen since his allergies are out of control due to our weirdly warm weather. It's all environmental and he's getting wiped down every time we come inside, but he started reacting to food so the vet told me to just keep it basic until we get a handle on it.

So, since basically all he can handle now is chicken and bison, I need to supplement what I can. I'm trying to get my hands on bone meal or a something to add in, and he can handle chicken liver every few days. Any suggestions? Not sure how long he'll have to be on this.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Re: Supplements

Post by johninny »

Kira, the one thing i think anyone who home-feeds [ cooked or raw ] should add is PLATINUM PERFORMANCE CJ [ the latter cj standing for complete joint ].

the ingredients are the very best quality: for example, the efa omega is derived from algae. there are many other things i add, but this will really assure balanced nutrition.
since it is so complete and high quality, i think any dog would benefit as an addition to commercial food, but it provides an extra level of balance and completeness to home preparation. i have used it now for 14 years. one usually has to order it by phone or net, as almost no stores carry it [ just 1 in manhattan that i have ever seen].

if you sign up for regular delivery, you get free [ or sharply reduced? ] deliver. i highly recommend this, as they will email you one week before announcing the shipping date and asking if you wish to change the order or the ship date. and customer service is so accommodating, polite and easy that they are a dream to deal with.

p.s., i came to this stuff the same way as everything else - the vet school journals and/or WDJ. it used to be strictly thoroughbred race horse supplements, but then they worked with olympic committee to create supplements for their athletes. those 2 areas make up the bullk of their business, but about 15 or so years ago, they were persuaded by vet schools to make this product for the canine market. they have added a few more k9 products, especially in recent years, but it is still a very limited array of nutritional additives.

i think i wrote to you [ privately? ] suggesting that their ''bio-sponge'' product might help with H's intestinal problems. if you do order the CJ, give the bio-sponge a try at the same time if he still has occasional or mild problems.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

How much (and how often) are you feeding him daily?
Are you doing cooked or raw?
If you can work in a raw chicken leg quarter, that will help with the calcium needed.
You'll want to add in fish oil and vitamin e.
Are you giving him digestive enzymes?
I know I have more questions, but let's start with these. :)
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Johnny - yes I have the bio sponge which works really well! Cool I'll go look into the other stuff too.

Stacey - chicken is cooked and bison is raw (something about the fat content raw works better for him this way). Last time I tried raw with him it was a disaster so I'm going slowly and testing his reactions to raw this time around. Raw chicken set him off last time. He has a Cloud Star treat that has fish oil and vitamin E in it since if he smells fish oil he refuses to eat, no matter what I hide it in. He gets that every other day and it seems to be working for now. No digestive enzyme yet (besides the biosponge I was using as he first transitioned). I'm currently looking into them. Lol ask as many as you want! :)
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Hey Kira!
Just a question on the chicken...when you fed it to him raw, did you try taking the skin off first? Tyson is sensitive to too much fat, so he gets his chicken sometimes skinless. I alternate...1 meal with skin, 1 meal without.

1. I would definitely add a probiotic (even with kibble) and I would add a digestive enzyme for sure (even with kibble). Any help you can give his digestive system will help him gleen the nutrients from food (raw or kibble).

I give the following (both are non GMO, Gluten free, and soy free):
http://shop.mercola.com/product/healthy ... 271,90.htm
http://shop.mercola.com/product/complet ... 461,91.htm

2. I also like to give Spirulina. It is one of the richest sources of beta-carotine and is considered a "superfood" for both humans and animals. Also, it can help with allergies. Here is a great article on spirulina: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/be ... spirulina/

I like this particular brand: http://www.thewholisticpet.com/products ... inatm.html

3. Nupro is an excellent supplement. I like to use silver (joint) because it has MSM, glucosamine, and Ester-C (where the gold doesn't).

Silver has all of this: NUPRO All Natural Dog Supplement is an all natural, holistic product that replaces essential vitamins, minerals and digestive enzymes lacking from the process foods. The formulation replenishes dogs with the nutrients that they would have obtained if they are out in the wild. Only contains quality ingredients such as; Bee pollen an incredible array of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes. It’s one of the most nutritionally complete natural substances found on earth.

Key Benefits

Nupro dog supplement is great for all breeds and all ages, from puppies to senior dogs
Supports a healthy immune system
An excellent source of vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and E
Desiccated liver supplies iron and B vitamins
Rich in omega 3 fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acid, fiber and lignans
Helps maintain healthy shiny fur and soft skin
Supports allergy protection
Nutritive support for healthy bones, teeth and nerve function
Made in the USA!

Plus this:

Nupro Joint Support is formulated for active or senior dogs with Glucosamine Complex, MSM and Ester-C. Your dog now has the benefit of a balanced combination of select ingredients formulated to support normal joint structure, function and flexibility as well as to promote optimal overall health. Nupro helps to maintain the health and resiliency of joints, muscles and connective tissues. The formula also helps to ease discomfort associated with normal daily exercise and active lifestyles. Nupro Joint & Immunity Support is not just for senior dogs or those with arthritis! The active athletes, show dogs, working dogs, police and search and rescue canines, sled dogs, hunting dogs, AND large breed dogs, as well, will profit from having glucosamine in their diet.

Key Benefits: Glucosamine complex helps promote the synovial fluid that lubricates the joints
Joint Support also contains Norwegian kelp, flaxseed, nutritional yeast culture, desiccated liver, bee pollen, garlic, calcium citrate, lecithin and lactobacillus acidophilus. Made with fresh, premium ingredients that are human-grade quality. Does not contain wheat, corn, fillers, grains, artificial sugars orpreservatives, glutens or by-products of any kind and is made in the USA.

*** I have a friend whose dog could only eat prey-model raw (due to allergies) until she started Nupro. Now she can eat high quality kibble (e.g. Orijen, Wellness Core, etc) when raw is cost- or time-prohibitive (she runs our rescue and sometimes feeding raw to the # of dogs she may have at her house is just not doable...right now she has 9....)

http://www.nuprosupplements.com/nupro-d ... pport.html

4. Another option is Nu-Pet's Canine Chewable Wafers. http://www.petwellbeing.com/products/nu ... ant-wafers

*Regarding fish oil. You need to look at the packaging and see if it breaks down the EPA and DHA amounts. In order for Hendrix to get the proper amount of Omega 3's, you have to calculate the EPA.
Target daily EPA = dog's weight x 20. So Tyson weighs 50 lbs. His daily EPA should be 100 mg. You can absolutely use the same fish oil pills for him that you can buy in Wal-green's, CVS, Rite-Aid, etc.

*Regarding vitamin E - you'll want to check if they are using natural (d-alpha) or synthetic (dl-alpha). The synthetic doesn't perform as well in the body.

**When adding supplements, I prefer powders to tablets. The powders are absorbed more quickly into the body. I have actually seen tablets go in and then come out looking almost exactly the same. So if you use tabs, crush them onto the food.

Whew! I think I just gave myself carpel-tunnel!!! LOL. Seriously, though...I hope this helps.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Woooooooooooooooow Stacy! That's a lot of fantastic info! Thanks! I just copied it onto a sticky note on my computer so I can have your and John's info handy while collecting these!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
deadrabbits
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue

Post by deadrabbits »

I second the thank you for both Stacy and John. I have been looking for some to give as well. Awesome info
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Stacy, as usual, deserves the "Information Medal."
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

LOL... Sharon, you crack me up.

Confession: I do tend towards information overload. oops!
~Stacy
Mom to:
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

Stacy, but the fact is your info is complete in that you just don't point someone in a direction, but you give good instruction to arrive at the destination.
i personally find that so helpful.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Thanks John :)

I just want to make an edit...my fingers didn't type enough zeroes when talking about EPA dose:
50x20 is 1000, not 100...Oy Vey! Apparently I hadn't had enough coffee and didn't catch it. LOL

*Regarding fish oil. You need to look at the packaging and see if it breaks down the EPA and DHA amounts. In order for Hendrix to get the proper amount of Omega 3's, you have to calculate the EPA.
Target daily EPA = dog's weight x 20. So Tyson weighs 50 lbs. His daily EPA should be 100 mg. You can absolutely use the same fish oil pills for him that you can buy in Wal-green's, CVS, Rite-Aid, etc.
~Stacy
Mom to: