Food Bowl

Dietary/feeding issues
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Food Bowl

Post by karenz »

Can anyone give an opinion on food bowls to slow down eating? I've been looking at different designs. Xander occasionally eats to fast. Not all the time but enough that I've considered getting one. When he eats to fast he "coughs" or "throws up" some of his food. It is immediate, like before it's ever really swallowed. It's not nasty "throw up". It comes out looking just like dog food. Not mushy or broke down so I feel like it's not even making it down his esophagus. I think he just puts too much in his mouth at one time. Any bowl suggestions out there?
Karen & Xander
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Food Bowl

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I used Kong Genius Mike toys/Busy Squirrels when H was gulping down food and that slowed him down, plus was fun! These are some of the ones recommended to me depended on size of kibble used and dog preference:
Apparently any of the puzzle ones also work, as well as the stainless steel ball but I was always afraid with H's ball drive he'd take it and make a toy out of it. The Kyjen and Northmate ones were highly recommended for dogs that wanted more mental stimulation but I never personally tried them.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I had a special bowl with a curved lip on it so they had to slow down to look for it. The Kyjen looks good.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I'm liking the kyjen or the northmate. I think it will be fun for him. I can picture him barking at the "mean" food bowl. I think it will slow him down and entertain him.
Karen & Xander
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

I have this problem with the (non-dutch) pup I adopted, she's got some bird-dog/hound in her and absolutely inhales her food, I watched her eat and watched the erratic way her rib cage was expanding when she was trying to breathe and gulp food at the same time

I went to the local hardware store and got a short section of stainless-steel heavy chain that I put in the bottom of the bowl, it slows her down cus she has to eat around it and nose it aside to get the last few pieces (I feed dry btw)

it works well, plus, it gives Shylah more time to finish hers before Shota's nosing around looking for more
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i bought chinese stainless steel ''singing'' balls at a yard sale [ not sure what they are called ] and put them in Tracer's food bowl for a little while. they would move around and make strange clanging sounds when he ate, so aside from being in his way, they would move around and talk back to him. always instructed him ''easy'', ''slow''. worked quickly and well. if he ever starts eating a little too fast, i say ''easy, slow'' and he eases back.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

I decided to give this one a try. I just hope Xander doesn't get frustrated trying to eat. I have visions of him picking it up and dumping his food on the floor. :yernuts:
img20150313_145218.png
Karen & Xander