I'd never give the advice of prescribing an antibotic or any prescription drug, because I'm not a vet, but I would suggest asking the vet about it and strongly pushing for at least a test for Lepto.johninny wrote:Stephanie, given what you say about the POSSIBILITY of Lepto - and given the fairly rapid decline in kidney function - do you think that pending a more definitive answer [ assuming one is even found in a timely manner ] to what is wrong that a proactive administration of penicillin might be a good course to take? could that do any harm at this point? --especially since Lepto can be difficult to find.
Penicillan and any antibiotic can put strain on the kidneys, especially if the wrong one is given which might be responsible for the increase. I think Doxy is also a suggestion for Lepto treatment?? I've only ever seen 2 clinic cases with Lepto, both being in vaccinated dogs that had some immune response. They were both in house isolation treatments, but I was not directly involved with the dosage or treatment at the time. If Lepto is suggested and they want to test for it for either the purpose of having a definite diagnosis to rule out other things or to ask the vaccine company for reimbursement, the early test has to be run before antibiotics are started, but the titer test could be run later, it just takes a while to get the results back. Since OP posted that a 2 week dose of antibiotics were already given, a Letpo titer test might be in order.
Hopefully the OP can get some answers today.