Kidney Health

Dietary/feeding issues
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Re: Kidney Health

Post by LyonsFamily »

johninny wrote:Stephanie, given what you say about the POSSIBILITY of Lepto - and given the fairly rapid decline in kidney function - do you think that pending a more definitive answer [ assuming one is even found in a timely manner ] to what is wrong that a proactive administration of penicillin might be a good course to take? could that do any harm at this point? --especially since Lepto can be difficult to find.
I'd never give the advice of prescribing an antibotic or any prescription drug, because I'm not a vet, but I would suggest asking the vet about it and strongly pushing for at least a test for Lepto.

Penicillan and any antibiotic can put strain on the kidneys, especially if the wrong one is given which might be responsible for the increase. I think Doxy is also a suggestion for Lepto treatment?? I've only ever seen 2 clinic cases with Lepto, both being in vaccinated dogs that had some immune response. They were both in house isolation treatments, but I was not directly involved with the dosage or treatment at the time. If Lepto is suggested and they want to test for it for either the purpose of having a definite diagnosis to rule out other things or to ask the vaccine company for reimbursement, the early test has to be run before antibiotics are started, but the titer test could be run later, it just takes a while to get the results back. Since OP posted that a 2 week dose of antibiotics were already given, a Letpo titer test might be in order.

Hopefully the OP can get some answers today.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

maybe Stephanie will correct me, but it is my impression that many of the newer antibiotics do not work so well against lepto, so i am not sure that it can be ruled out on that basis.

i sure wish you and Hauss luck in getting to the bottom of this quickly and getting him back to health. it must be terrifying for you.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Jussume
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have been adopted by a Dutch Shepherd named Hauss. He was brought into a family with 2 dogs and a cat almost 4 years ago. He is a very loving dog towards those he knows. I know very little about the breed and wish to lean how to train some bad habits out of him. I'm coming here in hopes of finding help.

Post by Jussume »

I want to thank you all for the information and support. Sadly the ultrasound reveals he has abnormal kidneys and I'm told it is congenital. Vet said even if he has Lepto, which they will screen for, his prognosis is not good short of kidney transplant they can just concentrate on giving him the best quality of life they can. The second opinion vet didn't not think it necessary to do more blood work as she stated it would not make as much difference with kidney function tests. she did do a full exam and stated had she not seen the numbers she would say he was a very healthy dog. Tomorrow is his last iv fluid treatment and once the blood work is taken I'm told we will know more about how well he will respond to subcutaneous fluids. I'll update you once I know. Thanks again all. Two dogs in less than 6 months is really taking it's toll on me. At least the other dog lived a nice long 16 years.
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

so sorry that you are going through this. having lost my best friend after 12 years, it sends shivers through me just thinking of someone losing their dog.
so to be facing such an ordeal again must cause a horrible brew of emotions. thinking of you and Hauss with hope.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Jussume
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have been adopted by a Dutch Shepherd named Hauss. He was brought into a family with 2 dogs and a cat almost 4 years ago. He is a very loving dog towards those he knows. I know very little about the breed and wish to lean how to train some bad habits out of him. I'm coming here in hopes of finding help.

Post by Jussume »

I just wanted to thank you all again and update you. Hauss didn't make it. He just kept deteriorating no matter what we did. He did not respond to treatment and on Friday he could barely walk, hold his head up or anything and that was after going in for 4 shots (pain, antibiotic, nausea, and for mouth ulcers). He refused to eat or drink and our only option was hospitalization with feeding tube. We could not let him keep struggling like this so, as much as it broke our hearts, we had to let him go. He went peacefully with human mom, dad, grandma and mike, all who loved him very much. Thank you all again.
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

We are so very sorry for your loss.... {{hugs}}
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Jussume
Just Whelped

Post by Jussume »

Thank you very much.
Jussume
Just Whelped

Post by Jussume »

I'm not sure if this is permitted here but I have been trying to help my son raise some money to pay the over $3,000 he owes for the medical treatment of Hauss. With a baby on the way he is going to need all the money he can get to help out. Here is the Go Fund Me link.
http://www.gofundme.com/p7sc9k

If it's a no no sorry in advance.