Skinny rescue

Dietary/feeding issues
NewlyDutched
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Amira, human of Serafina (angel of destruction) Mal/GS and just welcomed home Bruno my first Dutchie!

Skinny rescue

Post by NewlyDutched »

Hey guys. I just adopted a a Dutchie that had been pulled from the pound and is uber skinny. He needs to put on at least 10 pounds to just be lean!

He's been to the vet and consensus is that he just needs time and groceries.

He's getting a high protein grain free kibble and I just mixed up a batch of modified satin balls with 73/27 ground beef, flax meal, oil, beef gelatin, pumpkin, and whole raw eggs. I'm adding that as a third meal and I'll be upping the kibble a bit too. I'll be making the switch to raw but I don't want to change everything at once. I'll start adding some chunks of whole chicken as treats in a week or so.

We are walking twice a day for a total of 3 miles and he has supervised play with my Mal mix when I'm home.

Any tips or tricks to share for putting the weight on quickly but healthily?

He's 26" at the shoulder. I'll swing by the vet and get a current weight this weekend.

Oh, and his coat is blech!

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Skinny rescue

Post by Raven »

So glad he's found a caring home. :D

As for the coat, my adopted guy had course hair, though not a bad coat. I started dosing him with coconut oil and salmon oil. His coat became super shiny and surprisingly soft. You probably know the benefits of salmon oil; coconut oil is the anti-everything oil (bacterial, fungal, etc.)

I can't advise one way or the other when to introduce these into his diet; just recommending them at some point.

Ground flax seed should offer some help with his coat as well, keeping in mind, however, that it's a grain.

Members on the board who are well-versed in nutrition will chime in, I'm sure.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
NewlyDutched
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Amira, human of Serafina (angel of destruction) Mal/GS and just welcomed home Bruno my first Dutchie!

Post by NewlyDutched »

Thanks Raven. I used coconut oil in the satin balls recipe and the flax meal instead of wheat germ.

The good thing is he's totally not picky! He inhales anything I give him.
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

NewlyDutched wrote:I'll be making the switch to raw but I don't want to change everything at once.
Do you feed raw to your other dog now? The only reason I ask is because I've never had an issue moving a dog to raw from kibble when pulled from a shelter situation.

Which kibble are you feeding now? How much are you giving each time?

When trying to put weight on an emaciated dog, I would suggest feeding smaller meals at least 3 times per day, but I would add a 4th so that his system doesn't get overwhelmed. Without going into too much detail, starvation does horrible things to the system and organs. Too much food too fast can go wrong and at the very least you can end up with diarrhea. I wouldn't expect (or even shoot for) more than adding 2 pounds per week.

If you are going to stick with kibble instead of raw, you might want to add canned in for one meal. A quality canned food is higher in meat protein than kibble, is higher in natural fats than kibble, lower in carbohydrates than kibble, is more filling, and typically has fewer chemical additives. For canned foods, I would recommend Merrick, Canine Caviar, Tiki Dog, Wellness Core, Lotus Dog.

Whatever you feed (kibble, raw, canned), I would add a probiotic to help the flora in his gut and digestion. You can either buy a probiotic (I like Mercola's pet probiotic) or you can use an organic yogurt (I prefer goat's milk yogurt because it's easier to digest). If it were me, I would also make some bone broth. Bone broth is very nutrient dense and I've never met a dog who didn't love it. I also like using colostrum with sick, emaciated, or otherwise immuno-compromised dogs. You can mix it in with the yogurt. I would also start him on fish oil & vitamin e.

Be careful about too much coconut oil at this stage. Coconut oil has lauric acid in it and it can cause diarrhea in sensitive tummies.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

Right now he's getting 2 cups of kibble twice a day and about 3/4 pound of the satin balls as a 3rd meal. He was getting 3 cups of kibble a day total when I got him and as it has only been 2 days I don't want to overdo it.

He's also getting snacks. I fill a dispenser toy with about another cup of the kibble for him to play with while I'm away. Tonight I froze a bowl of water with a hamburger patty in the middle for tomorrow's away time.

His poops have been good. Soft but no diarrhea.

He was at a foster and they were feeding First Mate. They sent me with a few days worth of kibble and I intend to transition to raw as I was planning to do so with Mal mix at the end of my bag of Taste of the Wild. I'll just switch a bit sooner.

I'll definitely add the probiotic and fish oil.
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i agree with Stacy --- don't aim for rapid weight gain - aim for quality nutrition, since all his body parts need fundamental building blocks to work with for re-building. feeding a lot of kibble too fast will do more harm than good.
canned food is definitely a good idea. merrick's ''working dog stew'' would be very valuable for getting him
a variety of organ meats that offer a variety of nutrients he sorely needs. their turducken is also a good choice, but the working dog stew should be part of the diet.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

For the can food, look at the ingredient, many have Carageean. Dont buy any that have that, its usually near the end. Like the others said, dont rush the weight, it will come. Sadie was super thin too when I got her and it was a slow process, but she is lean built anyway. Switching right to raw should not bother them. I switched to raw and they were fine.

I started the coconut oil slow, then built up, it made a huge difference. You can also add Honey.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

We have had great success putting weight on and keeping it on feeding Taste of The Wild Bison and Venison,
a brick we get from an organic beef rancher at the farmers market composed of raw Heart, Lungs, Liver, Trachea and Stomachs. In addition we use Missing Link Ultimate Coat or Hip and Joint, Salmon Oil, Egg and handfuls of blueberries. We tend to like others have mentioned put weight on over time and weigh dogs weekly to chart their progress.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

You need fat in the diet or these dogs will keep eating massive amounts and never gain weight. Elli is up 13lbs now since when I got her at 2 years old. I keep the fat high and am feeding half of what I fed when I fed the average amount. If you're going raw, pork is an easy ones to add fat with.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I don't know enough to give advice on feeding but I'd like to say that is a good looking dog. Even despite the skinniness he is very handsome. I love the first pic. He looks so attentive. I'm glad he found a good home.
Karen & Xander
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

Thanks for the help. I grabbed some more meat today, chicken leg quarters, some whole yogurt, and since blueberries were on sale a big tub of those.

I need to source some meat variety this weekend, particularly some organ meat.

I ordered some salmon oil online. My other big fat sources are high fat ground beef, flax, and coconut oil.

I'm throwing a handful of blueberries into each meal and blending pumpkin in with the beef mix. He also like bananas.

Thanks Karenz, I think he's gorgeous an can't wait to see him filled out and shiny!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Merrick cans have Carrageen in them, please dont feed that. I use cans to help Sadie keep weight on too but there are good brands that dont have this in it.

“Although derived from a natural source, carrageenan appears to be particularly destructive to the digestive system, triggering an immune response similar to that your body has when invaded by pathogens like Salmonella. The result: “Carrageenan predictably causes inflammation, which can lead to ulcerations and bleeding,” explains veteran carrageenan researcher Joanne Tobacman, MD, associate professor of clinical medicine at the University of Illinois School of Medicine at Chicago. She says the food ingredient irritates by activating an immune response that dials up inflammation. Her previous work showed a concerning connection between carrageenan and gastrointestinal cancer in lab animals, and she’s involved with ongoing research funded through the National Institutes of Health that is investigating carrageenan’s effect on ulcerative colitis and other diseases like diabetes.

The concern over food-grade carrageenan isn’t new. Beginning in the 1960s, researchers started linking the ingredient to gastrointestinal disease in lab animals, including ulcerative colitis, intestinal lesions, and colon cancer.”
ImageImage
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

Today's hunt was fruitful. Brought home 10 pounds of pork to freeze (scored at .99/lb) and some marrow bones. Found a good chicken source so I think I'm set for a few weeks. It's been under a week but I swear I already see some gain!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

YEAH!
ImageImage
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

Stopped in the park and snapped a couple of pics on the way back from the walk to the feed store for treats and toys (go figure, he chose a tug). He's really skittish about traffic but otherwise a joy to walk.

MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Looking good!
Roger
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

So, while playing a game of freezer Tetris to make space for raw feeding I realized I have about 10 pounds of frozen local steelhead and some salmon bellies I brought home from Alaska a year ago. Can I feed these whole as part of the diet if he'll eat them? The salmon has no bones but the steelhead is both in fillets and smaller whole fish.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Don't feed the salmon until others step in here. Some say it shouldn't be given unless it was frozen at a certain temperature (lower than your typical home freezer).

Love the tiger tongue in the last photos.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Here is an idea. Smoke it over apple wood, with a little maple syrup and brown sugar and you have Indian Candy. Enjoy eating it with your boy, make him work for piece, every time giving you just a little more. Those bellies should be outstanding.
Roger
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

There are flukes present in some fish, including both salmon and steelhead, that are fatal to dogs. The FDA has guidelines for ensuring the flukes are killed: commercial freezing at -31F (-35C) for 15 hours OR you can freeze at -4F (-20C) for 7 days. If your freezer doesn't get that cold, is 1 year long enough at the temp it gets? I have no idea. If you cook 'em, I'd ensure there are no bones.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde