protein needs for 10month old Dutchie

Dietary/feeding issues
Boaz1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a dog groomer with my own shop. In July I got my first Dutch Shepherd and am very impressed with him.

protein needs for 10month old Dutchie

Post by Boaz1 »

Is 24% protein enough for my ten month old Dutch Shepherd? Would like suggestions on a good food. Boaz is on holistic grain free fish formula but is sometimes a little gassy. Need no grain, no chicken, no beef.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: protein needs for 10month old Dutchie

Post by Dutchringgirl »

what do you mean Need no chicken or beef?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Boaz1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a dog groomer with my own shop. In July I got my first Dutch Shepherd and am very impressed with him.

Post by Boaz1 »

He is allergic to chicken and I suspect beef so I don't give him food with those ingredients. Thanks Dutchringgirl for answering.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Do you have an allergy test confirming the allergy or a suspicion? I ask not to be rude but to better advise. Some dogs seem to have a chicken allergy but when put on raw and fed chicken, do fine. Sometimes it's the type of chicken (chicken meal for example) or after its cooked the body cannot handle. If you want to truly check for the allergy, I would switch to raw and that will tell you whether it's a true allergy or not.

If for example he has intense GI troubles on a chicken or beef formula kibble, it may be the fat content or something else. If he's a little gassy on the kibble you're on now that can speak to stomach upset, though the amount is the telling factor. I would get on dogfoodadvisor.com and research all the brands ingredients to see which would be the best. Most kibble will have some form of chicken in it, so be warned that confirming the allergy may be in your best interest either by allergy test of the raw test.

As for 24% protein, that's about middle range - Orijen has the heighest protein at 38% for a kibble I believe - and the 23-30% is what a less rich kibble, but still good depending on ingredients, would feed about. For example Fromm ranges from 23-30% depending on brand. If his coat is soft, he has a good figure and isn't over weight, activity level is good, and his stool is good, then he's getting enough of everything.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Boaz1
Just Whelped

Post by Boaz1 »

Thanks for the info. Haven't done allergy test other than withdrew chicken at vets suggestion for 8weeks, then slowly added some of chicken base food in and right away he began scratching and more of a signal was he began licking his belly and groin red. I got him at twelve weeks in July and I began changing his food to a higher quality with chicken. I think there was also contact and insect allergy at the same time but poor Boaz was miserable licking and scratching and inflamed belly. No vet trips and solutions helped. Don't know what will happen when the weather warms back up but he is doing well now. Occasionally scratches but then so do I.

I can't really afford a raw diet for him and don't trust raw from the grocery store plus worry about him getting all he needs. His stool is good though A LOT OF IT. His current food is 28% protein but wanted to give him some variety and the one I found with no chicken (yes I discovered most non chicken food has chicken fat, flavor or meal) is 24%. Is Pure Vita Grain free Turkey. Any comments on that?

I use dogfoodadvisor a lot and stick with four or five star food. Also have tried to stay under $60 per 25lbs. but may have to up that a bit. I would like a higher protein than median and I thank you for that info and everything.

Boaz is my first Dutch Shepherd (my 26th dog. I've been around awhile but also usually had multiple dogs symaltaneous my) and I am very impressed as I knew I would be.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I always use Dog Food Advisor. I did raw for a while but time and money stopped me. But I do still buy liver and chicken from the organic market so I know it dosnt have alot of crap in it. I was going to say the same thing that Kira said ( in fewer words though LOL) But she hit the nail on the head.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Lol Lisa you know me - the chatterbox! lol.

I would be concerned about a false positive. The immune system is like a boiling pot - too much water and it boils over. It doesn't even have to be the thing that was added that caused the reaction. For example, I'm not allergic to vegetables. When pollen is high, dust is high, and there's horrible Texas weeds blooming, if I eat a carrot, my lips swell. If I don't eat carrots there's no reactions - to anything - even though I'm having an immune response. I don't feel awesome but outwardly there's no reaction. If it is a false positive, that's awesome, except that you'll probably still need the chicken free kibble when things start blooming. And I feel your pain - spring, summer, and fall here are murder for H and I.

As far as Pure Vita... I haven't heard anything about it so I really can't help with that, sadly. Is there a health reason you want more protein?

As far as brands Orijen would be your highest and I think there's a few flavors that don't have chicken in them. You can see if Fromm has any chicken free flavors. Some people really like Zignature... Others like Earthborn (I think they have a buffalo flavor that may be chicken free) and Taste of the Wild (I would check their fish flavor specifically).
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)