Help switching to a new kibble!

Dietary/feeding issues
jrez
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a 19 year old male with a dutch shepherd and german shepherd mix named Kahlua. She is 45 pounds and a year old and a month.

Re: Help switching to a new kibble!

Post by jrez »

Dutchringgirl wrote:I would not let him chew on the greenie chews or any rawhide, they can chew off chunks and choke, many dogs have died from them. the only chew thing mine get are hard antlers.
Okay thanks, that is what I was thinking. The ingredients were also very questionable.
James, Kahlua, and Family.
jrez
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a 19 year old male with a dutch shepherd and german shepherd mix named Kahlua. She is 45 pounds and a year old and a month.

Post by jrez »

racingiron1 wrote:
jrez wrote:Do you think Purina changed the formula for Merrick? Because I don't trust Purina, and quite frankly Merrick has been the star of the show for a while.
I spoke to a Merrick rep at a disc dog tournament back in the Fall, and I asked her specifically about the new ownership. She said nothing had changed at the production facilities, and they didn't expect anything big in the future. She also said they hadn't been privately held for quite some time, so this corporate ownership stuff isn't new for them. She said they intended to continue to function as an independent organization.

Of course, as a marketing person she's trained to always provide a positive spin. Time will tell if anything about their operation fundamentally changes. I personally feed Acana, but sometimes use Merrick treats.
Wow, I am not sure if I want to stay with Merrick anymore. I will think about Taste of the Wild due to the positive reviews I have heard.
jrez
Puppy

Post by jrez »

MultiPurposeK9 wrote:We feed our DS who trains every day, OB Agility and Bite work 2x week. 1 1/2 cups TOTW Bison/Venison, 3 tsp, Missing Link Hip and Joint, 2 taps of Salmon oil, Tsp cottage cheese and 1/2 cup beef livers, lung, stomach or heart or what is available in the AM, PM is just the kibble. He is 8 months almost 9, 66 LBS, Our working retrievers who work every day are feed exactly the same but kibble is reduced by 1/2 cup at each feeding.
Very on point feeding schedule.. If I can ask, how is taste of the wild for you? I am thinking about trying that product.
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Personally I am partial to the Roasted Lamb but, the K9s want that Bison/Venison.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
jrez
Puppy

Post by jrez »

MultiPurposeK9 wrote:Personally I am partial to the Roasted Lamb but, the K9s want that Bison/Venison.
I will check it out, where do you purchase TOTW from?
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

It is generally not sold in big retail stores. The smaller chains and mom and pop retailers is your best bet.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
jrez
Puppy

Post by jrez »

MultiPurposeK9 wrote:It is generally not sold in big retail stores. The smaller chains and mom and pop retailers is your best bet.
I will look into that for sure! Affordable, great reviews as well. The Bison and Venison got 5 stars on dogfoodadvisor!!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TOTW is about the same price as Acana, FYI
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
jrez
Puppy

Post by jrez »

Dutchringgirl wrote:TOTW is about the same price as Acana, FYI
Can you please send me a link to the Acana? Everywhere I go ranged from 70-85 dollars. TOTW for me is about 45-50 dollars. Maybe its the area I live in, Southern California.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I just thought...........i didnt look as size and price. You can Google them, it depends on what store and where
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
jrez
Puppy

Post by jrez »

Dutchringgirl wrote:I just thought...........i didnt look as size and price. You can Google them, it depends on what store and where
Okay thanks!