Re: Littermate weighs 15 pounds more than my pup.

Dietary/feeding issues
StayGold
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a novice schutzhund trainer and handler. I have a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd puppy.

Re: Littermate weighs 15 pounds more than my pup.

Post by StayGold »

Hey all, this is my first post!

So, I have a female Dutch Shepherd and one of her female littermates weighs a whole 15 pounds more than she does.

My girl is 50 and the littermate is 65.

Is this pretty normal?

The main difference is the littermate is being fed three pounds of raw per day and my girl is being fed two cups of Zignature kibble per day.

Any ideas besides diet? The dog is huge! I just got a runt?
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Re: Littermate weighs 15 pounds more than my pup.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

London isn't the runt. A lot contributes to weight - muscle mass, bone structure, genetics, fat.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
StayGold
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a novice schutzhund trainer and handler. I have a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd puppy.

Post by StayGold »

Thanks.

You probably saw this and knew right away.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree with Kira, Dont worry, each dog is different and yours is just built that way. Females can be smaller as well. Many of the females including mine when I did ring sport were small and dainty. The males were HUGE.

As long as she is happy and healthy and you can feel a rib, she is fine
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
StayGold
Just Whelped

Post by StayGold »

I understand what you mean DRG. She hit an early spurt and hasn't gained a pound in two months. Seems to be the nature of the beast.

I do also realize, she is only 9 months old and still has some growing to do.

In your experience, is the growth marginal after 9 months?

Thanks for lending your experience here. The difference between the two dogs has me curious.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I would not worry about the other dog and yours. I have seen many size differences and as long as she is eating and healthy its fine.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
StayGold
Just Whelped

Post by StayGold »

Dutchringgirl wrote:I would not worry about the other dog and yours. I have seen many size differences and as long as she is eating and healthy its fine.
Thank you.