Coconut Oil

Dietary/feeding issues
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Coconut Oil

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

I was just wondering how much and how often you all feed coconut oil (or salmon,flax...)

I stopped giving it to them temporarily until Shota went to her vet appointment, since at the time we were suspecting she was allergic to something and I was trying to eliminate anything and everything... but now that we know it's not allergies I'm gonna start them on it regularly again and I was just curious
Last edited by montecarlogirl87 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Coconut Oil

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I give mine about a blob a day.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

Dutchringgirl wrote:I give mine about a blob a day.
:lol: That much, huh? I was thinking I would go with about 1/3 of a blob. I've been meaning to do some research into coconut oil dosage. I already give a daily squirt of fish oil. I know they're different types of fats and given for different reasons, but total fat intake shouldn't go too high, right?

I'm pretty sure I've seen discussions here in the past with some good info on this topic, so a search through the archives is in order... Here's a thread with some good info, and in particular Stacy suggests "roughly 1 tsp per 10 lbs." Several folks caution to work up to full dosage slowly so as not to upset the system.
http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... 602#p29602
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

if you give too much youll have loose poop, not a biggie. If you give fish oil you may not want to give coconut oil, that may be too much
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

I'm not planning on giving both, I just know people have different preferences... and I buy them salmon treats so they get some that way

like you said, I was giving a 'blob' at a time, was just curious if there was actually a 'guideline' out there

they've been on Solid Gold's Seameal for about a month too now
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL