Dry kibble brands?

Dietary/feeding issues
Jas31663166
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Working dog owner

Dry kibble brands?

Post by Jas31663166 »

Ok, so I've been doing alot of research and trying to find the best kibble for my ds

Does anyone have any recommendations on dry kibble, i have found 2 brands that im thinking about purchasing
Any thoughts?

1. EUKANUBA 30/20
2. Purina sport 30/20

:huh:
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Dry kibble brands?

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

I feed the 30/20 taste of the wild

I know most will say stay away from purina but I fed the proplan 30/20 for years and my old dog is in great shape at 9 years old... I only switched to taste of the wild because that's what the rescue I work for feeds their dogs I have plus free food lol
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

check out Dogfoodadvisor they have all of the info for you

My parents fed Purina for ever and the dogs were fine.

I feed Orajen and Acana
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Jas31663166
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Working dog owner

Post by Jas31663166 »

Thanks for the info guys!!
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

Dogfoodadvisor is a great source. I've been giving Wellness Core, Ocean something... supposedly excellent protein and all the fish oils for a nice coat.

I want to go raw food though, let him tear into some meat
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

We do Fromm's Large breed puppy!
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Post by Duke »

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:21 pm We do Fromm's Large breed puppy!
Nice, I haven't read anything up on it. I'm sure your pup loves it. Any particular food benefits that guided you toward it?
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Duke wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:25 pm
DaHawaiianDS wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:21 pm We do Fromm's Large breed puppy!
Nice, I haven't read anything up on it. I'm sure your pup loves it. Any particular food benefits that guided you toward it?
Here is the nutrition info for the food. The foods we decided between had to meet the AAFCO nutriet profile. https://frommfamily.com/products/gold/d ... -analysis/

We looked for optimal amounts of phosphorus and calcium, as well as protein and vitamins for development. I wanted to make sure that caloric content was high, but not too high. I followed a lot of this advice: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog ... uppy-food/
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

I'm pretty lucky that my two seem to have iron stomachs and changes don't seem to bother them, so I can change things up for them so they're not eating the same thing, every day, forever... I tend to stick with anything in the 4-5 star range on DFA and get what's got a good deal at the time

I've fed...
Blue
Canidae
Crave
Evolve
Merrick
Muenster
Nutro
Organix
Victor
Wellness Core
Whole Earth Farms

I keep an eye out for other brands like Acana, Fromm, Orijen, Solid Gold and TotW, but normally I can get a deal on one of the others at the time
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I feed Earthborn Meadow Feast to my dogs.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/earthborn-holistic-grain-free/ wrote:Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Dog Food receives the Advisor’s second-highest tier rating of 4.5 stars.

The Earthborn Holistic Grain Free product line includes six dry dog foods.
Each recipe below includes its related AAFCO nutrient profile when available on the product’s official webpage: Growth, Maintenance, All Life Stages, Supplemental or Unspecified.

Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Large Breed (4 stars) [M]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Coastal Catch (5 stars) [A]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Meadow Feast (4 stars) [M]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Weight Control (4 stars) [M]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Primitive Natural (5 stars) [A]
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Great Plains Feast (5 stars) [A]

Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Great Plains Feast was selected to represent the other products in the line for this review.
I switched from Blue Buffalo Grain Free after identifying some things that Radar is allergic to.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

En's old handler told me she just picked whatever top tier food was on sale that week. En has a stomach like the sled dogs; if it fits, it ships.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

montecarlogirl87 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:47 pm I'm pretty lucky that my two seem to have iron stomachs and changes don't seem to bother them, so I can change things up for them so they're not eating the same thing, every day, forever... I tend to stick with anything in the 4-5 star range on DFA and get what's got a good deal at the time

I've fed...
Blue
Canidae
Crave
Evolve
Merrick
Muenster
Nutro
Organix
Victor
Wellness Core
Whole Earth Farms

I keep an eye out for other brands like Acana, Fromm, Orijen, Solid Gold and TotW, but normally I can get a deal on one of the others at the time
good idea to save money
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Oh it's so good to hear that! We've fed our other dog the best deal from the dfa for some added variety but had been warned that DS have sensitive tums that can't handle switching it up like that so we didn't try. We just picked a good puppy food and stuck with it. Good to know many DS are fine with variety! Once we've got this growing thing down we'll look into switching it up. Kapena is still really skinny to spite our increasing his food to 3.5 cups! Every time I feed him more he makes more muscle and still stays thin! We're starting to worry a bit about it even though our vet said they tend to sprout up, fill up, sprout up again. He's SO STRONG and only 4 months old!
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

We use Life's Abundance for large breed puppies
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG