Trial switch to Merrick

Dietary/feeding issues
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Trial switch to Merrick

Post by TimL_168 »

I stopped into pet store and they had a few small bags of Merrick on sale for ten bucks each. I grabbed two bags. Endeavor is a changed dog! Her energy is much greater. We went for a three mile run Sunday morning, and she was chomping at the bit to go back out and work/play when we got home.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Trial switch to Merrick

Post by Dutchringgirl »

really?? well, sadie doesnt need more energy lol
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:28 pm really?? well, sadie doesnt need more energy lol
En has been described as "low drive". I'm happy to see some added spunk :player:
it may also have something to do with her new chukkit ball. my little girl has finally developed some toy drive!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Xander loved Merrick. I stopped buying it when Purina bought them out. I refuse to buy anything from Purina.
Karen & Xander
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

karenz wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:12 am Xander loved Merrick. I stopped buying it when Purina bought them out. I refuse to buy anything from Purina.
ohh right, forget it then, i dont like purina either, my dad swears by it :eew:
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Most kibbles if not made by purina are made by diamond so really they are all shit.... I've fed proplan performance for many years... Yoda is on raw the rest of my dogs get tow
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:10 pm Most kibbles if not made by purina are made by diamond so really they are all shit.... I've fed proplan performance for many years... Yoda is on raw the rest of my dogs get tow
I remembered you mentioning TOW before, and I might give it a shot sometime. I'm really thinking about switching to full raw this fall if I can get a few deer put up. It'd be even better if I can start putting her to work and earning her organ meats.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

raw is the way to go if you can, you can do both but not in the same feeding
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:14 am raw is the way to go if you can, you can do both but not in the same feeding
Just gotta make sure she doesn't get the scoots.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Way to go Endeavor!!!!
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

I think I had posted in another thread that En got the dire- rear after I put her on the chicken based Merrick food. She had had no issues with the rabbit based that I picked up at the box store. Digging through the ingredients, the only things I could find Substantially different were the inclusion of Turkey and a different set of bacteria/ fermentation aids. I went back and did a proper food change method, and she's back to firm stool now. I'm still mixing a tiny bit of her old food in, but I think I'm out of danger. We'll see...I'm refinishing the floors in a couple weeks anyway...
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor