Metal found in bag of puppy food

Dietary/feeding issues
Diesel
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.

Re: Metal found in bag of puppy food

Post by Diesel »

Lauren wrote:
Diesel wrote:
I feed our dogs Acana Grasslands which is a grain free product out of Alberta...there is a few varieties of flavours, we usually feed the lamb/fish flavour but they even have Bison!
That is what I use for training treats now. I switched dogs and cats to it for 3 days. They liked it, but the volume of poop was 5X raw and the cat's pee started to stink. So now I have a lifetime of training treats that they LOVE!!! :love: I just got spoiled to the tiny pellets of poop they put out now. :player:

The ingredients are impressive!
I do notice that the dog's farts are intense on Acana. :dswink"
Is it normal for dogs to have stinky (not sickly smelling though) farts?
And they have big poops!
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

I feed Orijen and it's the same way with the farts and poop - gross!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

That metal piece, OMG! :eek:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

No kidding eh! Scary!
Sue (and Sugar)

alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Acana and Orijen are made by the same company. Raw fed dogs don't fart alot, have a very small amount of FIRM stools (there are no "fillers" they can't digest), and very low odor from either end. They also drink much less because they don't need the water to process all that dry crapple-----ah, kibble.

Good thing you found the metal Sue, before Sugar got it. Poor girl has had a rough winter already. :eek:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Just ordered trail size dehydrated for dogs and cats from Honest Kitchen. I'm sure they are going to love it, but want to make sure before buying a large bag.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Diesel
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.

Post by Diesel »

Wow, that is a huge piece of rusty looking metal!
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Good gosh, that metal is scarey!! Can you imagine what damage that could cause??! :dsshock:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
felixone123
Working Dog

Post by felixone123 »

wow!! that metal piece is big. Has the company gotten back to you yet?
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Ya they did...read back to the beginning of the thread...tells you about it.

When I saw it come out of the bag I was shocked!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Diesel
Green Dog

Post by Diesel »

Sugars Mom wrote:I tried a few varietys of Acana and but she was allergic to their grain free food, (lots of ingredients in their food) and her poops went runny with that food.

I have found 2 Natural Balance limited ingredient recipes that has worked. Fish/potato and lamb/rice.
I do notice that Diesel and Halos farts are very stinky on Acana but they both have healthy poops. Considering Diesel's allergy (eye rubbing) I should probably try something with limited ingredients. '

That piece of metal is huge!
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo