Tick tock

Dietary/feeding issues
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Tick tock

Post by Joxgirl »

How much time do you let pass after feeding your Dutch before playing or working them out?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Re: Tick tock

Post by Jay knowles »

Good morning, we try to leave exercise until about an hour after feeding, Jay
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Yeah, I always wait at least an hour. Bloat.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hour both ways, feed -> play -> feed
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:29 pm Hour both ways, feed -> play -> feed
Thats important too. I wondered about the feeding after play as well. Thank you.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:18 pm Yeah, I always wait at least an hour. Bloat.
Ok. I was leaving only 30 minutes between when I needed to schedule my day if I have appointments which is not very often. Yesterday I got caught up in a project and an hour went by. That made me think that an hour would be a better length of time. It looks like you all agree.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Idk it doesn’t seem to matter to Zoey. She gets done eating and brings me her rope to tug almost immediately. And believe me I don’t ask for it. She just brings it.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I should have mentioned that I agree with Lisa, and typically wait both ways.
Borellar15, sometimes were smarter than our dogs. Bloat is scary shit. Especially if you're like me and dumping food in a slow feeder on the way out the door for the day.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

[quote=TimL_168 post_id=53108 time=1541368648 user_id=2460 Especially if you're like me and dumping food in a slow feeder on the way out the door for the day.
[/quote]

Tim
I sometimes use a slow feeder. What concerns should I have?
I dint leave with my dogs eating. First off they all eat too fast that unless I run out the door, its not even possible to leave before they finish. I used to give Rogue an edible treat to chew for an hour but unless its an elk antler I dont do that. I would hate myself if she choked.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

This breed is not prone to bloat, not that it cant happen. I have bassets and they are prone to bloat. But still be cautious, dont let them scarf it down, I also hold off water for about 1/2 hour too after, but if you are a raw feeder, you have less to worry about. Sadie is a fast eater, I use a slow feeder bowl and she just tips it over, i guess her eating the food off the ground does slow her down.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

True didn’t really think about that but then again Zoey is a slow eater. She takes a few bites and walks away and comes back. I have to remind her to go eat her food half the damn time.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas