Sneaky bugger got a small chicken wing drumstick

Dietary/feeding issues
smsdba01
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New owner of 4 month old rescue dog. Shelter had her as a 'shepherd/boxer' mix, but she looks like 100% Dutch Shepherd!

Sneaky bugger got a small chicken wing drumstick

Post by smsdba01 »

I just had lunch and had 4 chicken wing drumsticks which went in the trash in my office. I got up to look for my 5 mo old DS [she was behind me] and when I got back to my office she was licking her chops looking rather pleased with herself. There were now 3 bones left in the trash can.

No choking, gagging, issues with swallowing, etc. She seems completely normal. I called my vet and was told that since she seemed fine, to just watch out for behavior changes, bloody stools or severe diarrhea. I also did some web research and found mostly the same advice. Also saw some posts about giving her some canned pumpkin to coat the food in her digestive tract.

Has anyone had similar experiences or concerns with your DS eating small cooked chicken bones?

Thanks, Tim
Tim Kirkpatrick
Pocono Mountains, PA
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Sneaky bugger got a small chicken wing drumstick

Post by icvanstra »

Too many times!

Turn your back for a moment or set the trash by the back door to go out and forget about it or ....

Always nervous when it happens and thankfully the dogs have always come out okay.

Keep in mind there is a difference between uncooked bones and cooked bones.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

I've caught Sugar gobbling and crunching up a fish skeleton she found on the beach - that one was really scary as I could see all the pointy bones and she also likes to crunch up the nut shells she finds in our backyard. Yikes! Kinda scary, eh? It happens and doesn't mean something horrible will happen; just that it could happen I guess.

Let us know how it goes with your pup.
Sue (and Sugar)

smsdba01
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New owner of 4 month old rescue dog. Shelter had her as a 'shepherd/boxer' mix, but she looks like 100% Dutch Shepherd!

Post by smsdba01 »

So far Luna's fine and has had 2 normal movements since.

I raised two kids and countless other cats and dogs ... but I'm acting all over protective with this one. This is the most remarkable dog I've ever owned!

Smart, stubborn, off the wall playful, energy to burn, cute as a button ... rascal to the core!
Tim Kirkpatrick
Pocono Mountains, PA
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

smsdba01 wrote:Smart, stubborn, off the wall playful, energy to burn, cute as a button ... rascal to the core!
Hmm ... sound's like a DS :ds:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I assure you that the chicken wing will not be the last conquest of little Luna. They mostly do fine, despite the fact that some things can be quite dangerous. I personally worry more about corn cobs (!) than whatever kind of bones. Corn cobs are loved by all dogs, or so it seems. But they are extremely hard and will easily logde in the intestines. I cut mine up before they hit the compost pile or trash can, just because I know the dogs treat it like it is candy. A friend of ours, a sugeon, had to operate on his malinois after he got a cob stuck in his intestines, post family BBQ. He did not know to be very careful with that. So relax for now, but before you put something else in the trash, maybe assume it will get robbed out of there?
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Special trash "cans" for me...

1) all tissue (facial/toilet/etc) must be put in the toilet and not the trash can in the bathroom
1b) when Zorro lived with me even the toilet paper on the roll/holder was not safe.
2) anything edible must be put in the trashcan under the sink. Thankfully the dog's have never figured out how to open it.
3) all recyclables that have any remnant of food has to go in the recycle back hanging on the door to the basement.
4) my cup of coffee is never safe if I leave it out. When empty it must go into the trash under the sink or they will rip the cup to shreds.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

Maybe we should invent a metal trash can holder like the "bear aware" ones they use out west, but a smaller, home version...."Dutchie Dumpster" or something like that. ;)
Lauren from Western NC
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Lauren wrote:."Dutchie Dumpster"
HAHAHAHAHA

My garbage is in the pantry, but its making sure the kids close the door is my problem. Thalie knows but as soon as someone heads in that direction,,, Sadie eyes them and follows them just in case. Thalie has gotten plenty in her day, so far sadie just finds the butter from breakfast.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
smsdba01
Just Whelped

Post by smsdba01 »

Luna[tic] remains healthy and normal [for her]. :-)

Thanks for all the things to be watchful for/prevent.

We pretty much treat her like a very agile 2 year child right now .... when she's not in direct sight and things seem pretty quiet - pretty good chance she's into something she shouldn't be!

And her appetite! I've had several dogs before her but this one seems like she's ravenous 24x7. I've started to put one of her hard plastic balls [an old street hockey ball] on top of her food to try to slow her down. Think I need a second ball or something .... she races through a bowl of food like a small hurricane!

My wife said ... 'you don't need to wash that ball when she's done?' Ah ... no, not only is the bowl and the ball spotless, she even turns the bowl over and washes that side too! :-)

At 5 months, I'm feeding her twice a day and have added a healthy snack at lunchtime [so she'll let ME eat lunch without acting like a waiting vulture]. And no table/people food. She HAS actually learned to wait for the cats to finish before washing their bowls out too! They pretty view her as a very annoying pest.
Tim Kirkpatrick
Pocono Mountains, PA
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

My vet recommended feeding 3 times a day until 8 months.

Also, mine went through a phase of inhaling her food and I got her one of those balls that you put food in and she has to move it around for it to come out one kibble at a time. Not only does it make her eat slower, but its fun for her too! Now she eats normal paced when she eats out of a bowl (although its licked pretty clean!!)
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I still feed lunch, small though, but I like the idea of lunch, plus, if I dont,I have four eyes staring at me until I do. I did the ball, bone, toy, in bowl for Sadie for along time, that really helped slow her down. Now she eats slower than Thalie, ( thats slow!) and Thalie waits to bowl check. The bowls are shiny like new when they are done
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

smsdba01 wrote:I just had lunch and had 4 chicken wing drumsticks which went in the trash in my office. I got up to look for my 5 mo old DS [she was behind me] and when I got back to my office she was licking her chops looking rather pleased with herself. There were now 3 bones left in the trash can.
I apologize that you may be reading this for the millionth time. But there are many situations where the initial rules have been overlooked and this is being posted on every post were either one of these issues have been forgone. Yes, this is a form message cause there are too any places to post this for me to personalize it.

Please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature with your name so that people can identify you with something other than you login. This is a forum rule.

Please also introduce yourself in the Intro section if you have not already done so.

We have very little rules, but if you have not conformed to BOTH of these, please do so before posting on the forum again.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
smsdba01
Just Whelped

Post by smsdba01 »

Apologies.

My intro: http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... f=11&t=789, posted shortly after I joined the forum.

Updated sig below.

Tim
Tim Kirkpatrick
Pocono Mountains, PA