Bad knee?

Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Bad knee?

Post by Lauren »

I have been dreading posting this. I am worried about Xena's knee.

When we picked her up at 7.5 weeks, I noticed an occasional hop. a TINY favoring of the left hind leg. I e-mailed the breeder who said he had not noticed anything, maybe an injury? If it continues take her to the vet.

Well, It came and went. Most of the time she is fine, then once in several weeks, she will have a spell where she skips on that leg. ONE step then on her way as normal. Being the obsessive person that I am it bothers me a lot. When we were at the vet we were so worried about her broken toe, that I forgot about the very occasional skip.

I figured that when I have her spayed I will have them X-ray hips/knees/elbows and determine what to do. I mentioned this to a Vet today (today Xena was not skipping) and she suggested a very good surgeon in a near by city. She said that X-rays don't show knee problems well and that since she is only 6 months old, her joints will feel loose anyway. :|

Does anyone have any advice on knees? Xena has a 5 year genetic guarantee which i found very comforting when I bought her. BUT what I didn't research is that it is not a money back, it is a return the dog and we will give you another puppy. :dsdoubt:
Lauren from Western NC
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Re: Bad knee?

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I would suggest getting it looked at sooner, than later.

When my Malinois was 6 months old, something happened. It was 7 am on a Sunday. I heard a scream, and my girl was hopping around on 3 legs. .... I'm cutting all the stuff about visiting the vet .... Cut to two years later and still intermittent limping and pain, and vet visits. I had an animal communicator talk to her and found out that she had broken a piece of bone off of her elbow that morning 2 years ago. I had x-rays sent to a radiologist and it was confirmed and she had surgery to have the bone piece removed.

Being a Malinois, the pain was nothing to her. She just kept going. And I got a new vet, too.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Im confused, did you have her knee xrayed? The beginning said when you have her spayed but then you said the vet said her xray looks good? Or was that an earlier xray?

I would also look into to now. Im no dog knee expert but the joints on animals dont close yet so pain may not be as bad as it could be when they close depending on what is wrong.

I could never give a dog back, no matter what. I dont care what happens with Sadie and her hips, she is here to stay. There is only one way out of my house. It may be sooner if she keeps chewing dog beds though. :priest:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

I had an animal communicator talk to her
our holistic vet does animal communication as well to diagnose a problem. It is absolutely amazing how well that works. A bit shocking sometimes too. Our dogs watch us 24/7 and know exactly what's going on with us. :eek:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Ha ha, I'm thinking of a TV episode of Flipping Out where they had an animal communicator come in and the dog said he enjoyed listening at the bedroom door when they, you know, and that he wished they would do it more often!! Kinda freaky!
Sue (and Sugar)

Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

Ok, now I am a little freaked about what my animals like to hear.... :o

But I will get her knee checked. The fact that it is not in both knees kind of makes me think it was an early injury rather than heredity. She has, after all, broken one toe, almost broke three in a re-peat, almost broke a leg recalling too fast, ate a toad :eew: and is pretty avant guard in everything she does~with gusto....

Please don't worry. We knew before 24 hrs was up that she was our little wild child for better or worse. There is no sending her back. :player:

When I read Carol's post I thought about contacting a communicator... Maybe after Christmas.... (I could always clearly read horses and they seem to hear my thoughts loud and clear... wish it transferred to dogs!!!! I would give up my day job!)
Lauren from Western NC
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

My horses were pretty easy to read too. I have a friend whos horse vet who also communicates with the animals, she was spot on with her horses.
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Luxating Patella? If that's it, your Vet should be able to tell by manipulation. Usually a small dog problem tho, but what you described is exactly what they do when they have it. I would get it checked now.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Lauren
Training Dog

Post by Lauren »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Im confused, did you have her knee xrayed? The beginning said when you have her spayed but then you said the vet said her xray looks good? Or was that an earlier xray?
She has not had a X-ray. the vet I was talking to just said that x-rays are not reliable when it comes to determining knee problems. Probably because it is a ligament issue. x-rays could only tell if she had arthritis but this is so infrequent and she is so young that it is doubtful that she would have lasting damage yet...
Lauren from Western NC
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ok, i see, usually thats when we humans go for an MRI.
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Has Zena's knee problem been resolved?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Lauren
Training Dog

Post by Lauren »

Well yes and no. It is much less frequent right now. A bit of a hop (1 step or two) every few days. I have been advised to wait until she is a year old before evaluating anything. Meanwhile, I am getting her some healthy joint supplements.
Lauren from Western NC