Dry Paw Pads

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Dry Paw Pads

Post by Raven »

Anyone have any issues with this and know of a successful home remedy?

My thoughts had been that the ice divets that Thor creates cuts his pads because he's such a ramrod when playing, but having examined his pads this year (we have had mild winter thus far with not the usual ice), his pads are rather rough. If his pads were too dry, this could cause minor splitting/bleeding while ramrodding on what little ice we've had.

I have an effective topical herbal treatment (Nojmuk for humans), but would prefer a more "kitchen cabinet" course of action. I started rubbing olive oil on his pads this morning (lick, lick) and he gets salmon oil every day along with raw vegetables.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Dry Paw Pads

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I use BagBalm for dryness. Ive used it forever and love it. Its a bit thick though. Do you have booties he could wear when he goes out? I dont have a problem with Thalies pads since they are so tough from the years of running on the trails.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Thanks. Never had this issue before with a dog, so never thought that it was a matter of terrain. I think that's what you were saying (?) or were you just commenting on Thalie as a result of years of hard terrain? :oops:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

I use either virgin coconut oil or mushers secret. Coconut oil - i rub it paws or give orally, work up to 1 tbsp per day orally. I like mushers secret the best!!

http://musherssecretwax.com/
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Yep, thats what I was reffering to. Her pads have toughened up over the many years of hard labor. :D

Her pads are really tough, when we go mountain biking its dirt, rocks, roots, and she has never had a split pad. Sadies are still soft, but she hasnt entered the work world yet. We havent had much ice and snow so Sadie is okay. Its like the callouses you get on your hands. If your hands are nice and soft and you swing a hammer all day you will be sore. The icy divits though would be enough to not be fun on any ones paws. Thalie is a dainty mover though too.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

My solution - move south where we don't have ice :-)

I also love Bag Balm.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Thanks, guys. I do have food grade extra-virgin coconut oil on hand so I'll begin there.

Yeah, thanks, Christie for the rub. :twisted: You may recall during Thor's adoption I said I'd move to TN in heartbeat--love it there. Any job in your facility, heheheh.
lincoln_16
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I currently own a Belgian Malinois and eventually will be owning a Dutch Shepherd as well

Post by lincoln_16 »

In the deep cracks I will put some Penaten Cream (zinc oxide) then use bag balm.