Itchy dog

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Itchy dog

Post by leih merigian »

It's always amazing to me how different their tastes are. I let Geyser lick out measuring cups with C oil in them, and she loves it. I don't add it to her food, as she already gets plenty of salmon oil. I buy it by the 54 oz container (it's the only oil I use for cooking and go thru a lot of it), and when that's done, she has fun licking it out; one of those tasks that will occupy her for 20 minutes :wtg: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Glad she is better. Interesting though, see if she starts up again being back.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Funny you say that because she is itching more again these days, the longer we've been back.

It must be something in the house. Don't know what. Nothing new I can think of...except I painted the main walls in our living room/hallway/stairway at the beginning of the new year. Acrylic latex paint. ????
Sue (and Sugar)

alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

It doesn't have to be something new--allergy symptoms can come after many exposures to the same thing, but tend to continue to worsen with more exposures.
What do you feed her, wash floors with, wash her beds with? Is there any salt/melting products on surfaces where she walks outdoors? Have you added hand lotion to the hands you pet her with now that it's cold outside ?Does she tend to have ear infections,nail bed infections,or lose of hair that could point to systemic yeast infection?
I tend to always start with the food.
Trying to find allergy causes can drive you crazy!!!! Hope you figure it out soon. Poor Sugar. :cry:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Has anyone tried or knows of someone who has tried apple cider vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle to alleviate itching? Sprayed on the fur.
Sue (and Sugar)

felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Is Sugar or has she been under any kind of stress? I don't mean anything obvious, but the unobvious. For example, getting teased by kids, uncomfortable in any situations. Is she yawning when not tired, or turning her head to the side when approached? These kinds of things are what I mean as unobvious and can be causing her stress or making her uncomfortable, which can in effect make her itch. Just a thought.
Barbara, Odin & Kai