Rash/bumps that bleed/seep

JasonHavens
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Police K9 w/ a 53lb, 3 yr old female Dutch Shepherd named Dexi.

Rash/bumps that bleed/seep

Post by JasonHavens »

Last night Dexi seemed really uncomfortable when I scratched/rubbed her neck. I noticed a couple "bumps" on her neck under her collar that when I touched them she winced in pain. I removed her collar and after a closer look noticed the bumps were bleeding or seeping. I shaved the area which turned out to be about 3x5" and there were several bleeding bumps. I washed the area and put some antibiotic ointment on it and started her on cephalaxin which I had from a similar bump on her leg a while back. This morning it looked much better. I left her home in the A/C for 4-5 hours and when I came home the patch I shaved looked good. I was rubbing her on the opposite side of her neck and she yelped and pulled away. Checked there and found a couple bumps that were seeping as well. I tried every vet in town and some out of town but they are all closed for the weekend. She is full of energy like always but I'm definitely concerned. Does anyone have any ideas what this is??
Def going to the vet 1st thing Monday morning.
JasonHavens GPD/K9
-I seize your dope and raise you a Grand Jury Indictment-
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Rash/bumps that bleed/seep

Post by Dutchringgirl »

My first thought was the collar? Is it always on? Otherwise, I dont have a clue, sorry. Maybe one of the others who know more will chime in.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
JasonHavens
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Police K9 w/ a 53lb, 3 yr old female Dutch Shepherd named Dexi.

Post by JasonHavens »

Dutchringgirl wrote:My first thought was the collar? Is it always on? Otherwise, I dont have a clue, sorry. Maybe one of the others who know more will chime in.
Leather collar, and it is always on. I'm thinking hot spot
JasonHavens GPD/K9
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Do you use any topical flea treatments?

I would flush with cool water, wash with an antibacterial dish soap and then rub with cooled steeped tea bags. It has a soothing effect and helps dry things up.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
JasonHavens
Just Whelped

Post by JasonHavens »

Christie M wrote:Do you use any topical flea treatments?

I would flush with cool water, wash with an antibacterial dish soap and then rub with cooled steeped tea bags. It has a soothing effect and helps dry things up.
Yes, I use Vectra 3D which is due for application tomorrow (8th). I found a hot spot ointment that I had that works really well. Thanks for the input.
JasonHavens GPD/K9
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I am thinking hot spot too. For my own dogs, the flea meds do NOT last as long as the label says they should. I do all I can, vacuum a lot, keep the dogs up to date, and have been administering flea meds every month. Still, it seems hard to stay ahead of those nasty insects :evil: and I found a hot spot on one of my own dogs this morning, not due for treatment until the 15th.

That leads to the question: what do the other board members use for flea treatment?
I have done Frontline plus, Pet armor plus, Comfortis as well as cedarcide, and even dominion tree and shrub :oops: (same active ingredient als advantix) and interim help. I live out in the sticks, and I know all the dogs have to do is go for a walk to come in contact with plenty of fresh fleas. Short of moving to Alaska, I fear that that's life around here, but I don't like it. :(
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I use a combination of Tea trea oil spray and Sergents all natural flea and tick spray. I ususally spray them once daily or so, or when ever I can catch Sadie, she HATES it. I just found a topical Seargents all natural flea and tick tube. It looks like the frontline tube. So I can get Sadie.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Judith,

I use Frontline Plus monthly for most of the year. Once we have had a couple of good freezings I stop the monthly and go to every three months (or essentially skip January and February) - if it is a particularly hard winter up here I can start skipping sooner and end it maybe in March.

Haven't had any problems with fleas since starting with Frontline Plus years ago. The dogs will get an occasional Tick. The last one Cino picked up was already dead when I found it and had fallen off on it's own before I remembered it to borrow the "tick tweezers" from a friend. ...two days?
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
JasonHavens
Just Whelped

Post by JasonHavens »

Update::::
Today Dexi is showing no sensitivity at or near the bumps or anywhere where she was having issues yesterday. I have checked her over from nose to tail and few spots I have found are dry. Im sweeping up more hair then usual where she stays in the back of the house but Im not noticing any hair loss on her other than where I shaved her. We will see the vet tomorrow morning. Thank you everyone for your input. I'll update again tomorrow after the vet.
JasonHavens GPD/K9
JasonHavens
Just Whelped

Post by JasonHavens »

Doc said hot spot. Said it was probably from the bath and collar. Continuing with the cephalaxin for another 5 days. Thank you everyone for the advice and well wishes for my girl. The only sign she has had any probs is the patch of exposed skin on her neck now from the shave. She is back to her old self for sure. Thanks
JasonHavens GPD/K9
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i have always used frontline plus with the same good result: occasional tick that the frontline will kill in time to prevent lyme disease transmission to dog[ but still presents risk to humans ]. it is not necessarily supposed to deter the ticks, but it does seem to since i live in area infested with deer and ticks in brush along the beach.
good diet i think is very effective part of the equation. herbs like rosemary and oregano in diet may especially help and the season corresponds fairly well.
i would be careful not to spray the tea tree oil [ or maybe other ingredients ] in areas where Sadie can lick it off. tea tree oil is toxic to humans and dogs when ingested. also very bad in eyes. great for skin otherwise and good disinfectant, but intake is a danger.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka