sores on lip folds

funkyhunky
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd owner.

sores on lip folds

Post by funkyhunky »

I'm hoping to get some advice as I'm trying to avoid taking the dog to the vet. It's been an unusually hot and long summer here and the dog has developed some sores on her lips. I'm guessing that her panting has caused her to have "dish pan" lips..... The sores are right where her tongue hangs behind her canines. I've tried penatene cream and cortisone cream and it has seemed to have gotten better but it seems to be taking longer than I thought it would. It's hard to keep the cream on for obvious reasons...
The sores don't seem to bother her and she is eating and pooping fine, so I don't think that it is anything more serious than I have described.
Has anyone had any experience with this?
thanks,
dan
Dan form Ontario
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Re: sores on lip folds

Post by alspyce »

Have you looked closely at her bite to see if the teeth line up properly? Is she an aggressive chewer? If her flews(sp?) are loose, she may be pinching them with her teeth. I wouldn't think her saliva would cause the sores.
Don't know what to suggest as far as healing, except to limit her chew toys for now.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
funkyhunky
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd owner.

Re: sores on lip folds

Post by funkyhunky »

Thanks. I've restricted her chewing now for a couple of weeks. I think it was a natural smoked bone that started her problems for begin with, and because of the moister the heeling is slow. I didn't mean imply that the saliva caused the problem to begin with.
dan
Dan form Ontario