sore hips!

MyaDOG
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm Brandon and have recently added Mya to our family. I also have a German Shepherd named Shadow. Mya is a 3 year old female Dutchie, she is a tiny ball of energy with super high prey and toy drive.

sore hips!

Post by MyaDOG »

So for some reason my female Dutchie began to cry after a nap. Upon further inspection the dicomfort was coming from her hips. She struggles getting up on the couch and will not permit me touching her hips at all. I have given her half of an aspirin and she still seems to be favoring them. Yesterday she had a long walk and did some jumps onto benches and other things along her walk, that she always does. Not sure what she did, perhaps playing too hard with her German shepherd brother....idk I'm at a loss right now!?
Brandon Partridge
A balanced dog is a display of a balanced life :)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: sore hips!

Post by leih merigian »

You may want to restrict her activity a bit (like not letting her jump on the benches), perhaps walk her on leash for a few days, and see how she is. If she's still so sore after getting up, you may want to consider having your vet take some Xrays.

Dogs are not good judges about how much exercise is good for them when they're injured. So, just because she wants to get active when you're out with her doesn't mean she's recovered from whatever it is.

good luck!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

How old is she? My 2yo has Hip dysplasia, not to scare you, but she would cry when she would get up and dosnt jump to well and gets sore after long walks or rough play. Like Leih said, keep an eye on her and if after being quiet and rest for a bit its not better I would get some xrays.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
MyaDOG
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm Brandon and have recently added Mya to our family. I also have a German Shepherd named Shadow. Mya is a 3 year old female Dutchie, she is a tiny ball of energy with super high prey and toy drive.

Post by MyaDOG »

Mya is 4 years old, never had issues before. She is seems like she is doing ok but I'll for sure keep an eye on her and follow up with and changes!
Brandon Partridge
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

I agree that an X Ray might be needed. If it is Hip dysplasia, better to know now so that you can try to minimize the long term effects. I'd be making that appointment now if I were seeing those symptoms.

If it is dysplasia, I'd also be spaying her. At 4 yrs. old it's time to do that anyway, if it's not already been done, and she would only have to do the anesthesia once. ;)
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Another Xray vote. If you've never seen any signs before it's possible the discomfort just got worse, and if her soreness goes away and it is HD, HD will still be there even if she has stopped showing obvious signs. I wouldn't wait to see if things get worse unless for financial reasons in which case there's really no way to avoid costs if you have a dog with HD and it is better even from a financial point of view to know earlier and treat her appropriately rather then letting things degrade and possibly needing surgery.

If it is HD you want to know so you can start taking steps to lessen the effects and hopefully slow down the progress. Depending on how she responds to being held, the vet might be able to take the X-rays without having to put her under in which case the cost won't be all that much. If it isn't HD at least you will have ruled that out.
Choochi
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Is Mya any better??
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
MyaDOG
Just Whelped

Post by MyaDOG »

Mya hasn't been complaining of any discomfort since those few days. She is in heat now and things have settled. Thanks for all the help and advice!!
Brandon Partridge
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Keep an eye on her when she gets up from laying down or from hard play. Sadie is intermittent with the soreness. Even now, its maybe once a week I hear her yelp but at 2 she has learned to compensate, but as a puppy it was still here and there.
ImageImage
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Post by HARNW76 »

I'm considering a DS for my next dog. One of the reason I'm thinking about changing from GSD's is for a chance at better health. Over all, would you say that I have a better chance of getting a dog who won't have hip issue by going with a DS?
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Yes.

http://www.offa.org/stats_hip.html

Mind you, those are stats based only on dogs who's information has been submitted.

Even though as a breed the DS might not be at as high of a risk for HD as a GSD, it still is, and it is very important that if you are buying a puppy from a breeder (vs rescuing) you buy only from dogs with healthy hips. If possible (and in case of most good breeders this won't be difficult) I would want the grandparents of the pup to also have confirmed good hips (and if you can confirm this for even more dogs behind the pup that's even better).
Choochi
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Post by HARNW76 »

Choochi,
Thanks for the stats. This helps.
I'm assuming that the most cost effective place for me to look for a breeder is here in the U.S.A.
Or is it possible to find a DS of equal quality in Germany or The Neatherlands and import him
for the same price that I would pay here in America? Any thoughts on this?
And what about breeders here in the U.S.A. Are there some that you would recommend over some others?
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

I have been giving my two Ester -C. It is a vitamin supplement that you would find at a health food store. 500 mg per day. The reports on it say that even though it would not change the condition of having hip dysplasia, it will really help lubricate the joints to the point that there is not any discomfort.

Studies in GSD's show that when a bitch (same sire)who is already KNOWN to throw dysplastic puppies is given Ester c during her pregnancy and while nursing, and the pups continue on Ester c for their first 6 months that they were ALL free of hip dysplasia. Their theory was that some dogs may genetically be predisposed to not producing enough vitamin c to cover the pups needs. So when it is provided, they don't suffer the joint problems. It has also been documented to help horses with joint discomfort...

At my house the dogs and I take our daily dose, just in case! :D
Lauren from Western NC
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

If you want a clean dog, I would go to a reputable breeder. I rescued Sadie and she has double HD. I am fine with that since I did not have plans to work her. If she was clean I probably would have but I am just as happy with her as she is. The Ester C is Esterfied vit c and digests better.

Lauren, that is very interesting about giving the Bitch C and the pups C as well !

I give my girls Esterfied C too.
ImageImage