A little more than a fart

Diesel
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.

A little more than a fart

Post by Diesel »

aka Shart...

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of Diesel pushing something with his nose. I quickly realized it was a nugget (about 1 inch) of solid poop, he was trying to either hide it, or get it off his blanket. It's happened twice before. I figure, he farted in his sleep and a little extra escaped.
I know this is only happening when he sleeps.

Should I be concerned? Has this happened to anyone else's dog before?
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: A little more than a fart

Post by leih merigian »

Diesel wrote:aka Shart...
OMG, that is so funny (tho I am not laughing at you :mrgreen: )

What I love is your word for it!

I'll try to remember it the next time I have a freaking mistake (and who among us hasn't? :lol: )

I sure hope that this doesn't mean anything...I'd guess not, but I don't even play a vet on TV, so what do I know? Not much, you? (Any Michael Feldman fans out there?)

good luck with getting a reassuring answer, instead of this kind of thing :g_wink:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

HAHAHAHAH too freakin funny !!!! I have no idea. Sadie used to gas me out of the bedroom there for a while but no nuggets came out, that I know of. Keep an eye out and see if it keeps happening? My vet would for sure chuckle.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

I would have a Vet check. If it were very loose stool, it might get away from him when he farts, but it shouldn't be happening with a normal stool. Dogs can become incontinent with stool as well as urine. :twocents:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Diesel
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.

Post by Diesel »

I will definitely ask the vet but in the meantime, I googled fecal incontinence and what I read didn't seem to match what was going on.
I know it only happens when he is sleeping and it has only happened 3 times in several months. I also wonder about the cold weather and if he is really relieving himself fully when he goes out.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Diesel wrote: I also wonder about the cold weather and if he is really relieving himself fully when he goes out.
I think you're on to something there, girl. I mean, if I had to hang my butt out there when it's -30 and do my business, I'd never finish :lol:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

leih merigian wrote:
I think you're on to something there, girl. I mean, if I had to hang my butt out there when it's -30 and do my business, I'd never finish :lol:

I have to agree there !!! During the cold snap we had, ill put them out and they wont go anywhere or do anything, they will turn right around and give me that puppy dog look like "HEY its freezing out here, you want me to do WHAT??"
ImageImage
Diesel
Green Dog

Post by Diesel »

I really need to get him comfortable with wearing boots. I tried to buy him a jacket this fall but the belly strap went right over his weiner. I haven't been able to find a jacket suitable for "chesty" dogs yet.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I got my dog jackets from DOVER usa. its a horse blanket place. Mine have cross under straps that dont go near that area, but I have girls so there is nothing to hit anyway. Check out horse blanket places, they always have dog blankets.
ImageImage
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I really like the Gold Paw jackets. They started out making them for horses and scaled them down for dogs. The owner is wonderful to work with as a supplier. I used to stock them, but phased them out since it was such a seasonal thing.

I don't use boots and I don't think Odin would wear them. I put Musher's Secret on his paws before going out and at the end of the night. It really helps deal with the salt burns and cracking.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

if he has enough gas to do that, then he may have [ it suggests to me] an intestinal bug. I just wrote about this stuff in the new members section re Izzie, so see there [ paragraph E ] if this seems possibly on target. i would take a fecal sample to the vet for testing. no guarartee that vet will find something EVEN IF HE DOES HAVE A BUG, but best place to start and does not cost much if you take in the sample, but it must be pretty fresh.

good luck. hope he's ok and just feeling the cold.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka