Snip

HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Snip

Post by HeatherH »

Hi, We've been busy running through the valley. Not sure how this is going to workout ( no one wants to come out in the cold weather) Come a lttle warmer weather suddenly everyone wants to take a walk.

Anyway, Dutch is now 8 months and huge, he's got his appointment for you know what. Neutering on April 13.

Cross fingers :eek:

Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Snip

Post by Dutchringgirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Have you looked into the Pro and Con sides of neutering at a young age?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

alspyce wrote:Have you looked into the Pro and Con sides of neutering at a young age?
That's what I was going to say. Whole Dog Journal recently did a write up about the pros and cons. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... tml?page=2

Personally, I have the ability to keep intact animals securely confined, and I don't like neutering males under 2-3 years, depending on the breed, and for performance dogs, I prefer to not neuter at all. I've never had an accidental litter, and I feel the cons out weigh the pros.

For females, to prevent pyometra and other diseases, I have spayed all of my females in the past, but after they were 3. I've only had 2 females before though and I prefer males. Vets offer uterus only spays to prevent pyometra and pregnancies as well as tube tying options now.

I understand that not everyone has the ability or desire to do they extra work to keep these dogs secured, and some people want the removal of testosterone for training and behavioral reasons or to get them into daycare or dog parks, so it's always good to weigh your personal pros and cons.

Odin was neutered at 5 months at his first shelter and boy is he leggy and his body hasn't filled out like I had hoped. He's still a great dog, but if it was under my control, I would've at least waited longer for him to develop more.

There are also places that will do a vasectomy on males instead, to allow the hormones continue if you do want to neuter early.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

LyonsFamily wrote: Vets offer uterus only spays to prevent pyometra and pregnancies as well as tube tying options now.
Then there's another option, which I'll mention here to keep them all in the same thread :mrgreen: ; ovariectomy, which is removal of the ovaries only, keeping the uterus. It's the hormones that cause the pyometra and other related diseases, so no ovaries, no diseases, no need to remove any additional organs.

Again, I know the OP is discussing neutering a male...and on that topic, I agree with Stephanie (tho if someone isn't able to ensure the safety factor, it's kind of inevitable).
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...