jogging with 10 month old?

fguios01
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello my name is Frank and am currently living in Holland. My dogs name is Lancelot and he just turned 10 months.

jogging with 10 month old?

Post by fguios01 »

My wife wants to start jogging with Lancelot, but I've been told you should not run a puppy until at least a year. He is currently 10 months old.I was wondering what your input on the subject is? My wifes logic is he runs on his own when we walk with him and he runs constantly when we go hiking. I would feel a lot better if he would go with her on jogs because she likes to run at night and although he is only ten months he looks pretty intimidating.
Fguios
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Re: jogging with 10 month old?

Post by LyonsFamily »

How far are these jogs, and what type of terrain is she running on?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
fguios01
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello my name is Frank and am currently living in Holland. My dogs name is Lancelot and he just turned 10 months.

Post by fguios01 »

Roughly a mile or two on various surfaces. I keep hearing different opinions on the subject.
Fguios
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Personally, 10 months would be around the time I'd start with light stuff with a larger dog like a DS. I've heard 8 months, but since DS don't full mature until 2-3 years, it's better to err on the side of caution.

Start with shorter runs, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, and work your way up to mile at a time, at a slower pace, and not every day to start with. I probably wouldn't take anything under 18 months on more than a 1-2 mile run. I would avoid concrete, asphalt, and other man made hard surfaces. If she can stick to cross county trails or sidewalks with grass next to it, that would be ideal.

Since running is likely to be a continual thing for your dog, you should spend a lot of time focusing on building the muscles to support the joints in non-impact ways such as swimming. Like with any athlete, cross training is best for overall fitness, and too much of anything right away can do damage.
Stephanie
funkyhunky
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd owner.

Post by funkyhunky »

Jogging beside a human should be considered a low impact activity for any well put together dog.
I'm pretty sure that the original people that created the DS type didn't waited till they were 2 or 3 yrs old before they worked them....
dan
Dan form Ontario
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

Dan --- but that is not work. human ''running'' is unusual. few animals do anything more than sprint. DSs run like mad for some yards, then they rest, then dart about, then rest. they are not built for continual jogging/running. there are few dogs that are - dalmations, weimaraners , and sled dogs come to mind, but all those dogs do their [greater] duration runs are on friendly surfaces [ they don't wear shoes and joint replacements are not manufactured en masse for dogs - nor paid for by owners ]. you would do your dog a great injustice if you put him out there to run even half a mile straight out at this age. of course, he would do it if asked and look enthusiastic about it. but that is even worse as you will then think - OMG, he loves it. NOT GOOD FOR HIM. never really will be, but will be fun with proper body conditioning as Stephanie outlined and, while running, giving him chances to rest here and there and keeping him on dog-foot-&-joint-friendly surfaces.
Last edited by johninny on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
funkyhunky
Puppy

Post by funkyhunky »

If you worry about a dog jogging for a mile or two, you might as well wrap it up in cotton and carry it around in a basket. The OP wasn't asking about about a marathon.....
dan
Dan form Ontario
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

a mile or two IS a very long distance for a dog to run in an uninterrupted manner, your ridiculous reply not withstanding
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Hey Dan,

In general, I agree with your sentiments. However, are you familiar with growth plates? Until they're closed and the tendons and ligaments and such are mature enough, enforced exercise of any significant duration and too much jumping can cause serious damage, down the line, and as Stephanie said, especially on hard surfaces.

Just sayin'... :mrgreen:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
funkyhunky
Puppy

Post by funkyhunky »

That is why I feel that taking a young dog for a short run is a safe low impact form of exercise. It good for the human/dog bond as well.

dan
Dan form Ontario
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

funkyhunky wrote:Jogging beside a human should be considered a low impact activity for any well put together dog.
I'm pretty sure that the original people that created the DS type didn't waited till they were 2 or 3 yrs old before they worked them....
dan
The DS wasn't originally created for running with humans during recreational fitness for long periods. "Working" a dog is different than just running for miles. True work for this breed involves one of the truest forms of cross training you can get. If you check out a herding or bite work trial, these dogs run for short periods of time, jump and climb on things, perform on different terrains, and work at their own pace based on the situation. They're also conditioned for months or years before performing at full speed.

Sure, they can be adapted to be a great running partner, but it's not what the original people created the breed for and in order to adapt to that, there are some age and fitness restrictions. Medical research has also come a long way since the breed was developed and people want more out of their dogs now.

Another problem is the terrain. When this breed was developed, there weren't sidewalks and bike trails and paved roads all over that these dogs now run on that make it hard on joints and damaging to growth plates.
Stephanie
funkyhunky
Puppy

Post by funkyhunky »

I trained and trialed in French Ring for 6 plus years. I don't recall someone missing training because their dog was injured in a jogging accident.....
dan
Dan form Ontario
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hearding dogs are bred to sprint over here, get the herd, bring them there, rest, sprint over there. Yes, they are bred to go no stop, per se, but not not stop running. I have also trained and trialed FR and no one really jogged with their dogs, all of our training was on the field and it was never consistent. We trained, put them up, trained , put them up. With that being said......... Thalie has come mountain biking with me now for four years, and we go for a good 10-15 miles, we do stop here and there but are out for hours, and she never had a problem. Now, she was 6 when we started and before that I did hike and heavily train with her, so she was in great shape when I started. Personally, I would wait until he is physically mature, there is no harm in waiting and doing shorter hikes/ walks and playing with him.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
fguios01
Just Whelped

Post by fguios01 »

Thank everyone for the insight, I think I will hold off on having the wife jog with him for now.
Fguios
JimDurb
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner and rescued our dog "Dutch" when he was 4months old. He is now 6 months. Hoping he'll be a good running buddy and home protector.

Post by JimDurb »

I feel really bad about running with my DS now b/c he's only six months old. We usually do between 1-2miles on trails through the woods. He seems fine b/c he never seems to tire. Is it ok to hike that distance with him? I just feel like I need to get him to expend some energy before I leave for work and when I get home from work.