Cut above eye (picture)

kimkim
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have a 3yr old dutchie that I titled to FR1, and had to switch to PSA due to a military move.

Cut above eye (picture)

Post by kimkim »

So today while I was in the kitchen, Duke (boxer) and Ember were playing in the living room. Then Em runs into the kitchen to check on me, and I see this! No yelp or anything. It looks like just the top layer of fur and skin came off, maybe from Dukes tooth or she hit it on something... I put neosporin on it, and my husband Matt is going to bring home some betadine, should that be enough? Or should I think about a trip to vet?
Kim
ImageEmberImageDukeImageBabalu
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Re: Cut above eye (picture)

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I wouldn't worry about it- Dogs have amazing healing ability, and it does not look deep, or like it bled much. I'd clean it carefully with the betadine, and just leave it at that. She'll be fine, I'm willing to bet! It may take awhile for the hair to come back in, but it will. :)
Kelly
Koenig
kimkim
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have a 3yr old dutchie that I titled to FR1, and had to switch to PSA due to a military move.

Post by kimkim »

It did not bleed at all. I did not think it needed the vet, but there is a little flap of skin, thanks, I just wanted a few extra opinions. Matt thinks the hair will grow back white:(
Kim
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Post by turnnburn52984 »

When I first got Koenig he had a raw abrasion across his nose. (unsuccessful attempt by prior owner to walk him in a halti...) It was gross, and weepy for like 2 weeks. I was concerned about the hair growing in white as well, but now (6 months later) you'd never know he had a sore!

Beautiful Grey in your sig pic- African or Congo? Pretty!!
Kelly
Koenig
kimkim
Puppy

Post by kimkim »

Thanks, Congo
Kim
k9noja
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Im 35 years old, married whit childerens, im from holland and working as a security K9 officer

Post by k9noja »

some weeks ago during a practical training kyra got a cut over here nose. she dosent hit the breaks before the attack :yernuts:
like turnnburn52984 says dogs have a great healing proces, the cut is almost gone.
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

mmhh, I would have cleaned it out though... no blood=no good, specially if they cannot lick the spot clean themselves. And a stitch or two... might have helped healing it nicer, but, as said before, it will heal up on its own too. They heal really fast.
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

The betadine is a cleaning agent. (Betadine also makes a surgical scrub) From the views on the picture it looks like it may be wide and shallow- does not look deep enough for a stitch to me. That area of her face would be prone to pull stitches I'd think, in the different expressions she makes.

My horses get scrapes and cuts like that every couple weeks. (sometimes every couple days, it seems) I wouldn't worry. It's in a spot where it shouldn't be in contact with too many germs (like something lower on the face/muzzle, or on a foot/leg)

How's it healing? It's almost been a week now, should show some healing...?
Kelly
Koenig
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Around my house the 'other' dog would keep it clean for them. :D

Abigail is constantly grooming/licking Cino and Cino only does it to abigail when she has a wound.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

turnnburn52984 wrote:The betadine is a cleaning agent. (
ah, ok, didn't read that part obviously :oops: :oops: ;)
kimkim
Puppy

Post by kimkim »

Well the cut is now kind of white in color, but now hair growth yet. Matt (husband) thinks it wont grow back, I tell him it will and that it has not been that long yet.
Kim
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

White is healing :) She'll get hair back, it just may take time. I was TERRIFIED Koenig would have a bald strip across his nose from the retard who had a halti on him. I can't even find the spot now.
Tell Matt to chill. :)
Kelly
Koenig
kimkim
Puppy

Post by kimkim »

The hair is growing back nicely, you can still see the mark a little though.
Kim
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Yay! Hopefully with some more time that mark will go away. :)
Kelly
Koenig
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

marks are cool tho 8-) :mrgreen: