Ringworm

Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Ringworm

Post by Sugars Mom »

Has anyone had dogs with ringworm?
Sue (and Sugar)

Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Ringworm

Post by Schlussdibusti »

My Labs had it once. I used Vick Vaporub.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

Post by Sugars Mom »

And was it a pain to get rid of it and not spread it? Did you get it?
Sue (and Sugar)

Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Honestly, I don't remember how long it took. It did not spread.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Boogies
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Greetings from Wisconsin. I live on a small goat farm with a crazy Malinois, named Rocket, that I adopted 5 years ago. I rent the goats out for weed and brush control and Rocket saves me hours a day, herding goats into barns and trailers and watching the gates as I move between pens. He also pulls a little red sled with whatever I need hauled. Rocket's the 14th dog I've adopted since I used to prowl the shelters for fast dogs for my sled team. One of my sled dogs may have been a DS mix. She had the look and energy but was a solid black with white toes. Rocket is currently an only dog so we go skijoring instead of sledding.

Post by Boogies »

I adopted a wild horse who arrived with ringworm. He was not gentle yet so I could not bathe him. I got some anti fungal powder from the vet. Then I had to teach him to eat grated carrots to get it in him. He wouldn't touch the carrots until he saw the dogs eating them. The powder helped but didn't do the whole trick. I researched it on the CDC website and found miconazole would cure it. That's the ingredient in most creams for female yeast infections. I bought ten tubes at Walmart, and boy did the kid at the check out give me a funny look! I made a huge cue tip with a tree branch and an old sock and dabbed the cream on the horse through the fence. It worked. It also works for athletes foot.

It did not spread to me or the dogs.
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Boogies wrote:I made a huge cue tip with a tree branch and an old sock and dabbed the cream on the horse through the fence. It worked.
LOL, that is great! :wtg:

Well, I'm not dealing with ringworm after all, which is good :cheer: Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Sue (and Sugar)

Sarahk
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Looking to get a DS in the near future.

Post by Sarahk »

Use athletes foot anti-fungal cream. Worked like a charm for my dog.
Sarah and Stig (VT)