teeth cleaning

Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

teeth cleaning

Post by Sugars Mom »

I wondered what people have heard about having their dogs teeth cleaned without anesthetic?

I know the typical way is at the vets and they put the dog under and clean the tartar from the teeth, but there is someone here in town who does it without putting them out.

Of course I would rather not put my dog under and it is much cheaper, so any feedback from anyone out there who has had experience of having their dog go through a teeth cleaning without being put under?
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: teeth cleaning

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Never had a teeth cleaning. Bones seem to do the job.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

You'll find a ton of conflicting information about anesthesia free teeth cleaning. In some areas, they consider it a vet only job and it's illegal for non-vets, including groomers, to do. In most places in the US it isn't. I was trained to do the tooth scaling at a vet clinic, and I do it for my own dogs if they need it. We offer scaling at the salon I'm at now too.

The biggest problem with the anesthesia free dentals is that you miss abnormalities under the gums that may need to get taken care of. Someone can only get under the gum lines while knocking the dog out. Those problems are found during pre-dental x-rays and are the main reason for doing the anesthesia cleanings at a vet as the x-rays are done pre-cleaning. Many diseases are life threatening if not found and treated and these x-rays and surgeries save lives.

The second problem with the anesthesia free cleaning and groomers doing is is that the scalers put tiny little nicks and lines in the teeth. Vets have a polishing device that is used to smooth out these cracks after the cleaning. If you go to an anesthesia free place, make sure that that is something that they do, or the tarter will build up faster next time and the teeth can decay prematurely.

In my opinion, I would get the x-rays done without the dog being put under and determine if there are any problems that require the dog to be knocked out to get under the gum lines. If everything seems healthy, get the dogs teeth cleaned by a trained professional that can get it done without anesthesia. If there are problems that are present, have the vet do the cleaning and any surgery to fix it.

I don't have a problem with Odin's teeth as he's raw fed and the bones and large meats seem to clean them well. One of the setters at my parents' house is on a mainly canned diet and her teeth build tarter faster than most. I scale her teeth and polish them every 6 months myself. See has a problem with anesthesia and can't be knocked out. Even if she didn't, I think putting a dog under every 6 months like vets recommend is overkill.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Great thanks so much for the info! Yes, it was not being able to clean under the gums that I had read about...and great idea about getting the xrays first to know as well as the polishing.

Sugar has had tartar start to buildup at a year old and the pup does already and he is less then 8 months old, so thinking I should take care of it...
Sue (and Sugar)

Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Just some food for thought here on teeth...
Is the tartar horrible? If not, you can try PetzLife oral care products...they have a spray and a gel and both products work really well at reducing tartar buildup. You can also try brushing with an enzymatic toothpaste...yes, I really do this when needed...LOL. If you are going to bite the bullet and have their teeth professionally cleaned, I would still use these products for maintenance...a whole lot cheaper and healthier over time. Also, just a thought here...have you considered a raw diet? My Miniature Schnauzer is 9 and has just in the last year started to show signs of buildup at the gum (which is partly due to age and partly to the fact that when I am out of town or when they spend time at the trainer's, they get ground meals because it is easier). Tyson is 9 months old now, has been on raw since I got him in January, and his teeth are pearly white.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

I do brush their teeth with an enzymatic toothpaste but I'm not dilegent with it I must confess : (

I have considered raw, but just not ready to do that yet...
Sue (and Sugar)