OFA or Pin Hip on Hips and Elbows

Loyalfriend
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are trying to learn about the breed.

OFA or Pin Hip on Hips and Elbows

Post by Loyalfriend »

Is it common practice for a DS breeder to have this type of information available? Any info. you have is appreciated. If necessary to check a dog, what is range of cost to have it done?
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Re: OFA or Pin Hip on Hips and Elbows

Post by LyonsFamily »

I personally wouldn't buy from a breeder without the parents' hips checked out and certified with one or the other. On an older dog, it would depend on the age and the reason I was getting the dog. Any breeding or working prospect I would want it done on that dog as well as see the parents' results. Worrying about my rescue's hips is enough for me to warrant paying a little extra for a dog that has been checked out before I bonded with the dog.

I think most do OFA because more vets are familiar with it. I just got diagnostic x-rays done on Odin and they were around $80 for the x-rays and tranq. I was told if I wanted OFA results, it would be $130 for hips, and an additional $130 for elbows for them to send in, including the OFA processing fees, unless he needed to be fully under, then it's another charge. He's not being bred, so I didn't send them off.

I believe I read Christie did PennHip with Ziva if not all of her breeding dogs, so she might be a good source for info on that.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
asheleylane
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Asheley Winters, have had Dutch Shepherds for 12+ years!

Re: OFA or Pin Hip on Hips and Elbows

Post by asheleylane »

I'm afraid it is not so common practice (if one looks at percentages in the U.S.). I don't know how many times I have heard "oh, they were xrayed and looked fine". I always think "sure - looked fine according to who, and can they actually provide copies of the films for review, or a professional statement to that effect?"

I also must share a very enlightening (for me) experience. In the office, my boss chuckled and leaned back so I could see his computer screen. He said that another vet emailed him these hip xrays and asked if they should be sent in to OFA, if they looked ok. From across the (albeit small) room, I could see what would be classified as moderate degenerative joint disease - in other words, the dog already had arthritic change, and the femoral neck was thickened and knarled. So, even if a veterinarian DID take xrays and say they are ok - how much experience does that vet have, and do they know what they are looking at with joint xrays!?!

Sadly, I am bashing my own profession, but it is the truth. There is a large disparity in quality and area of expertise among veterinarians. And for the record, IF a breeder actually has xrays taken, it only costs an additional $40 to send them to OFA - so I always question WHY people don't if they actually spend the time and money to have joints x-rayed.