Tooth Root Abcess +/ - neutering

feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Tooth Root Abcess +/ - neutering

Post by feraloup »

So. The other day I noticed the left side of Moko's face, along the cheekbone under his eye, was swollen. He seems completely unaffected by it, other than the visual loss of symmetry to his facial structure. And easy to miss unless looked at from certain angles, as his brindle is camoflaging! I figured he just bit his cheek or something roughhousing with the girls. The next day it looked less pronounced, but then later was worse again and upon further prodding, it is hard bone, not flesh swelling. So I've deduced it's very likely an abcess ofthe root on that upper carnassial. My vet felt it didn't warrant an emergency weekend fee, as he's displaying zero signs of discomfort, acting totally normal in all ways, so we have an appointment for Tue. morning with directions to call if he gets worse. In the meanwhile I've made a paste of raw honey, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, and nasturtium which I'm massaging on his gums at the base of that tooth 3x daily, and it seems to have helped as the boney protrusion seems slightly less. Any thoughts or advice or experience to share until our vet visit?
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Re: Tooth Root Abcess +/ - neutering

Post by feraloup »

My question about neutering, (typing laboriously on my phone and wanted to post last msg before I lost it all to a time-out.) Moko is 15 months old. I intended to wait to neuter him at 2 years old. Odds are, if he will need to be sedated to have a root canal or the tooth removed, my vet will strongly promote neutering him at the same time. Financially, as well as not re-doing surgical procedures and antibiotics and so on, it makes sense to just do it all at once, rather than have to go back and put him through additional procedures down the line, but I also wanted to let him be fully done with growing before neutering. I know the recommendations there are 18-24 months. Thoughts or feedback on this?
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
feraloup
Training Dog

Post by feraloup »

So update... I was correct, and it was in fact, an infection/abcess at the roots of one of his upper teeth, happily though, it wasn't actually that upper carnassial but the smaller molar directly behind it. Sucks that it was an infected tooth that needed extraction, but happy that it wasn't the one with extra roots and it leaves a smaller gap in his mouth than the removal of that larger tooth would have meant. Also good in that all of his other teeth look fine as did the maxillary bone, meaning we took care of it quickly enough that it didn't spread and get worse. Most likely the cause of the problem was either over-eager chewing of a bone or antler, or one of his body-slams in rough-housing play, which caused a small crack in the molar, which them created a "highway" for bacteria to get into that deep sheltered root area to take over.

Moko did great at the vet, is home and will be eating soft food for five days and not allowed to rough-house/jaw-wrestle with the girls during that time, (much to his chagrin,) and I'm pumping up the probiotics to help offset the antibiotics he'll be on for the next week. They also gave us some anti-inflammatory/pain meds for five days to help his comfort level while the gap in his gums heals.

We chose to still hold off on neutering him, and wait until he's 2 as I'd originally intended, so for now he gets to keep his knads a little while longer. :pint:
Attachments
here you can see where the bone is protruding under his left eye in reaction to the infection :( ... this was taken a few days ago, it's already looking better, now, thankfully!  :)
here you can see where the bone is protruding under his left eye in reaction to the infection :( ... this was taken a few days ago, it's already looking better, now, thankfully! :)
face.jpg (54.11 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Autumn Dufresne

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Glad it wasn't worse. There's much to be said for observations and staying on top of things.

Heh-heh...good luck keeping him low-key. Kind of like holding a lit fire-cracker.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
MaliNut
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Well...it's a transition really. Had my final GSD from 1996 to 2009-she's over the Rainbow Bridge now); then moved over to Belgian Mals. Now I've DS fever looking to get SH silver brindle sib(in my dreams) for my 5 yo Male Mal Razor!

Thanks for having me onboard-I am here to learn all I can about Dutch SHepherds...although after 3.5 yrs of Mals I still wonder if I am really ever going to figure it out!

Post by MaliNut »

So sorry to hear of Moko's problems...I always keep Flagyl(Metronidazole) 500mg tabs as it is a better anti-infective for bone infections than it is an anti-protozoal for Giardia.

It's a great drug to have for Diarrhea as ~40 per cent of dogs feces tested at the IDEXX PCR DNA reference lab test + for Clostridium Perfringens Enteroxin A producing capable bacteria vs. 8 per cent + for Giardia.
Vrijheid's "Our Ninja TAKI"- Dutch Shepherd born 5/15/13-1 Yr old!!!
Razor"...5 yr old Belgian Malinois -RIP my son; 12/13/13