Bloat

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Bloat

Post by Raven »

Stacy_R wrote:Okay, so here is what my vet said:
She was an ER vet for a while and saw many bloat cases. Basically, by the time you figure out that it is bloat, anything you throw in their mouth won't make it to the stomach anyway because the stomach is already flipped and twisted. I am not saying she is right or wrong...just reporting back.
It makes sense. Especially about the part by the time someone figures out or suspects it's bloat, especially for Average Joe dog owner....

I wonder if there are rough stats that reflect those who survive a case of bloat with a trip to the vet and those who don't survive with a trip. There'd be tons of variables affecting either side of that coin, but the same can be said for a lot of things.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

NOTE TO ALL:

1) Bob (administrator) shared this thread under the "Feeding" section as well.

2) Any subsequent posts made under a section (e.g., Medical) will not copy over to the other section, and vica-versa.

It's an important topic. Some members may be inclined to look under Feeding for information on bloat, which is why Bob copied the thread over there as well.

Yea, Bob !!! :cheer:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Rob C
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in Washington state, and I'm just trying to find out about the Dutch Shepherd breed and thought this might be a good place to start.

Post by Rob C »

I've always had Pepcid on hand just to be on the safe side, though I've never had to use it. As for slowing feeding down, our dog used to eat so fast he would hack and cough. We went out to a local pet store that sold these large and HEAVY metal balls that we put in his food dish. It was about the size of a softball. He would eat around it, and it would slow him down. The nice thing about it being metal, was it was too big, and too slippery after eating to try and lift the ball out with his mouth. When he tried to scoop the ball out with his paw, all it did was knock the kibble out, which would of course slow him down while trying to eat the small pieces off the floor. I don't know if anyone else has tried these, but the worked great for me.
Rob C
Vancouver, WA
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

For some dogs, the balls, rocks, special feed bowls, etc. don't work. Sigh.

The information in the thread fleshed out that Gas-X (2X the adult dose) is recommended if bloat is suspected and Pepcid may be useful for stomach acid issues. Two separate things.
kyoto49
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dog lover, Liverpool supporter :)

Post by kyoto49 »

Raven wrote:
Stacy_R wrote:Okay, so here is what my vet said:
She was an ER vet for a while and saw many bloat cases. Basically, by the time you figure out that it is bloat, anything you throw in their mouth won't make it to the stomach anyway because the stomach is already flipped and twisted. I am not saying she is right or wrong...just reporting back.
It makes sense. Especially about the part by the time someone figures out or suspects it's bloat, especially for Average Joe dog owner....

I wonder if there are rough stats that reflect those who survive a case of bloat with a trip to the vet and those who don't survive with a trip. There'd be tons of variables affecting either side of that coin, but the same can be said for a lot of things.

I've been unfortunate that 2 of the 4 dogs I have owned in my lifetime have had bloat :(. The first was roughly 25 years ago, my lovely Scottish Deerhound, a breed on the high risk of bloat list, she got it one evening. I rushed her to the vet and it seems I was in time, the vet gave har an injection, and 2 hours later she had projectile vomiting all up my bedroom wall..........NICE....!! She did however survive and lived another 2 years with no ill affects.

However I recently lost my 13 year old greyhound with torsion. Similar story, spotted the signs, again in the evening, (possible link??) rushed her to the vet but too late and she was put down to save any further suffering. It's heartbreaking it really is.

I have analysed it and don't see any similarity between the dogs in terms of feeding regime, one was fed raw and biscuits, the other dried complete food, neither were exercised either before or after food, both had a good belch reflex, I've heard an inability to belch is a contributory factor. Both di occur early evening though so maybe there is something in that? At the end of the day I just reasoned that I had been unlucky, but then I did choose to own breeds with a propensity to suffer this horrible condition.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Kyoto,

I can't imagine going through it once, much less twice. How horrible. I'm so sorry.

Somewhere I've heard/read that early evening seems a common, though not exclusive, time for bloat to occur.

In another thread, someone asked about the great DS burp, and owners said their dogs did, too. (Mine belches like a drunken sailor on leave--effortlessly, loud and long.) I haven't heard that belching might be a contributing factor, but if it is, it's good to think it has more value than a good laugh. (Seriously...these dogs can BURP.)