Pinkish, Reddened Skin On Toes

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Pinkish, Reddened Skin On Toes

Post by Raven »

While out grooming Thor in the sun today, I was able to see pinkish, reddened skin above his pads on a couple toes on a back foot. (Can't see it in the house, only in bright, natural light.) I haven't seen him licking them, but it looks like they've been licked. The hair seems thinner on the affected toes. I touched them and he didn't have a reaction, but sometimes he doesn't react much even if something obviously bothers him.

He's walking and running normally, though he isn't as ball-driven as usual.

I don't think I'd want to put straight tea tree oil on it. I have Bag Balm, but the toes don't look dry (and he'd lick it, anyway).

Anybody else seen something like this? Any suggestions?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: Pinkish, Reddened Skin On Toes

Post by Stacy_R »

I would just watch for a lick granuloma. You can try coconut oil, but you'll have to cone him. Good luck with that. Tyson can rip a cone off his head in less than a minute.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Thanks, Stacy.

He's never been coned, but I put one on him for a test run. When I first got him, that would not have flown. :twisted: Now...he's like, "Okay, but you're kidding, right? Just tell me you're kidding." Oh, and the look. Stoic resolve.

I put some coconut oil on the toes and, oddly, he's not licking it off. Really weird. Good, but weird.

I'll keep an extra eye and ear open for licking (granuloma).

:)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

could you put a sock on him with some duct tape?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Yeah, I could. He's cool with it; I've done test runs with bandages and socks, too, in the past. He lets me do anything to him. Just like his father... :lol:

I'll keep putting coconut oil on it. He still isn't licking it. I can't imagine it's a chemical irritation since I don't use any in the house (except bleach in the toilet) or on the lawn. I'll take a magnifying glass and poke around his toes; maybe there's a pine needle or something I can't see---but there's no swelling.

I've read a bunch of stuff on Epson salt, both good, bad and indifferent. Bad = the skin absorbs it. (Some maintain the skin can't absorb anything...which I don't believe is true.) Indifferent = it's not harmful but its purported benefits are myths. Good = it is capable of solving all the problems in the world.
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i don't have a clue. if i correctly understand what you are describing, i used to see the same sort of thing on TraceDog's toes occasionally as he got older. never did anything that i definitely remember, though a few times i think i may have used antibiotic cream or even burt's bees hand salve if it was winter. nothing ever came of it.

with some of your descriptions of Thor, he sounds as obedient and understanding of some instructions as TD. did you tell him not to lick the coconut oil? i never once had to use a cone for TD - not even after the operations when his life depended on keeping the wounds clean. [ the first time around in 2008, the surgeons thought i had really gone too far in taking a risk. by 2nd time, THEY got it.] a simple ''no lick'' indicating the area was sufficient if followed up by occasional, gentle, just-verbal ''no lick'' reminders. if you need, maybe you could try having such a discussion with Thor, though it sounds all is well in that regard at the moment.

edit: above does not work with my current pups. never will with Saki. probably would at some point [ now?] with Xander. Tracer....???
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

johninny wrote:with some of your descriptions of Thor, he sounds as obedient and understanding of some instructions as TD. did you tell him not to lick the coconut oil?
No, I didn't tell him. He just didn't. Guess he just knew. And he LOVES coconut oil, too. Gets it every day. And he is wicked obedient. I take great pride in him, and myself. If you only knew what he was like when he first came here. Oi. (As you know, though, he will never win awards for his desire to rip into other dogs, and wild critters if he gets them before I can recall. But at least he recalls now.)

He's been patiently putting up with me this week as I try to get out all the undercoat he's blowing. I don't think the foot thing is in response to that, though. He's not stressed by it. It's probably just one of those things that happen and will amount to nothing. Just don't want it to worsen.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

H has been licking his paw recently too, right where pad meets skin. A bug may have bit him there and he was licking it during the early itchy stages. Same thing happened to H. I put some tea tree oil on it, and on his lick granuloma from a puncture, and it works. No more itching and no more licking. If he's not going at it and it's not getting worse, then keep doing what you're doing and keep an eye on it. You're lucky Thor is so obedient! H laughed at me with the sock and duck tape… and the bitter bandages… and the bandages… and cone… and the comfy cone… But tell him to back off my deviled eggs, THAT he'll listen too.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Hopefully the coconut oil will clear it up - anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory. Thor sounds amazing. :)
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I need Thor to talk to Sadie LOL. Thalie has given up. Thats great that its working. CO is a fantastic thing, dont forget to eat it too.

I have seen Thalie lick her paw and found nothing there, but it didnt last long.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Oh, yeah...I use coconut oil for cooking, on my hair, and it's the daily moisturizer for my skin. Good stuff.

He hasn't been licking it--except for once last night in bed he started to. I said 'stop' and he put his down and went to sleep. So...I think it's not really bothering him. Apparently, it's bothering me more. :lol: I'll keep up with the coconut oil.

Thanks, everyone.