is my baby severely sick? !

Kitty_the_dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello, we have rescued a new addition. His name is Kitty and he was saved from poor conditions in downtown L.A.. we saw him posted on craigslist and couldnt srop thinking about him, the next day we decided he was the one. As we had been looking at getting a pup anyways. We were told he was 8 weeks when we got him and he had been dewormed, and had shots. We were alao told he was a black lab and Australlian shepard mix. After a trip to the vet the next day, none of that held up. HE WAS ONLY 6 WEEKS!!!! had worms and no shots. Weighed 7.4 pounds, happy to inform 3 weeks of having him anf he is a whopping 15 pounds!

is my baby severely sick? !

Post by Kitty_the_dog »

My 11 week old boy kitty woke me upbthis morning at 7 am to go outside, he usually sleeps till 8 at least, and never poops before he eats breakfast. Well he woke me up to go outside where he pooped, almost liquid. I fed him after, no change in diet . He had to poop again, which he usually does about 5 mins after breakfast. Again very runny. I mixed some pedialyte in his water as the vet had suggested if ee were ever worried he was dehydrated. He seemed fine. Running. Playing with his toys. Went to run some errands came back and diarrhea. All over his crate. He is very well potty trained. Let him out, no poop ahain till dinner time, he ate well. Diarrhea again about 30 mins after dinner followed by very yellow puke. Not regurgatation. He is still drinking water and playing very well has some energy. I called the vet and they cannot see him till early Wednesday morning. Idk if this is due to heat or seperation anxiety. I am worried.: (
“A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.”
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Re: is my baby severely sick? !

Post by johninny »

i would say it is not heat and not separation anxiety.

to guess what is cause, would need a lot more info as to what he has been exposed to: his diet, does he eat or have the opportunity to eat things he should not in the yard or on walks, is he getting inappropriate human food, had he gotten a clean bill of health in terms of parasites before this, any exposure to possible sources of salmonella or similar pathogens [ garbage, old food on street, dog treats that are prone to contamination, foods commonly associated with salmonella like melons, peppers, chicken], dog parks? are you familiar with ''foods your dog should never eat'' which you can find at webmd.com?

personally, i would just go to the vet's office and stay there til they made time for him to be seen. taking a [fairly] fresh sample of his stool with you to the vet's office will save time. [ i ALWAYS have stool sampling kits handy just in case something develops, but perhaps you can use a very clean plastic spoon and a spare glass jar.]

sorry to hear Kitty is sick. not enough to know, but when diarrhea is severe like that, it is best to assume that the infection is severe and potentially quite harmful and needs intervention.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Kitty_the_dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello, we have rescued a new addition. His name is Kitty and he was saved from poor conditions in downtown L.A.. we saw him posted on craigslist and couldnt srop thinking about him, the next day we decided he was the one. As we had been looking at getting a pup anyways. We were told he was 8 weeks when we got him and he had been dewormed, and had shots. We were alao told he was a black lab and Australlian shepard mix. After a trip to the vet the next day, none of that held up. HE WAS ONLY 6 WEEKS!!!! had worms and no shots. Weighed 7.4 pounds, happy to inform 3 weeks of having him anf he is a whopping 15 pounds!

Post by Kitty_the_dog »

he is montoired 24/7 goes outside when I am outside and is concrete. he has NEVER had any human food. He just went to the vet about 4 days ago and had a clean bill of health minus he has discharge form his male area and we were given a solution to wash him with twice a day, we do as instructed and wipe the area clean. if we go on walks he is on a leash and is ALWAYS in my eye site.
“A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.”
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Have you changed his food?

Mine got diarrhea when he first came home from all the excitement. He did again when we transitioned him to the new food.

I give him pumpkin when that happens and it clears up.

My dogs have only had yellow bile vomit when it's been too long since they've eaten or they've eaten grass.
I would give the vet a call in the morning if it continues.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Kitty_the_dog
Puppy

Post by Kitty_the_dog »

No change in food.
We did skip lunch tloday since we were planning on driving with him and he gets car sick and we were told if u are okanning a car ride and they get car sick to hold off on food for a few hours before he ate at 8am and usually eats lunch about 1 and dinner about 6. It was about 2:30 when he puked so maybe the food was the cause of that. Hopefully. Will cross my fingers he is all better in the morninf . Poor guy. I hate when he is sixk, looks so sad. Braks my heart
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I would reduce his food and give him some cooked rice to bind him up. I would not do the pedialite since it has sugar and that will fuel any bad bacteria in his gut.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Dutchringgirl wrote:I would reduce his food and give him some cooked rice to bind him up. I would not do the pedialite since it has sugar and that will fuel any bad bacteria in his gut.
Ditto what Lisa said.
boiled, shredded chicken (boneless) and over-boiled rice, and you can give him some of the broth that you boiled the chicken in (water + chicken, no spices at all). Water should be available at all times. Skip the pedialyte...too much sugar. Until you can get to the vet tomorrow and find out the cause, I wouldn't do too much more...could be worms - could be coccidia - could be bacteria.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Whenever a dog of mine has had a diarrhea attack (usually from stress and/or medical procedures and/or a med), I feed small doses of brown rice and maybe with a little poached and diced chicken breast. Bulky but bland.

A frustrating part is the balancing act: whatever goes in must come out, yet they need to eat and need water to replace the fluid lost in the diarrhea.

Poor baby.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
DanLu5
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a long time dog enthusiast but first time Dutch Shepherd owner. Logan is a KNPV bred Dutch Shepherd and great grandson of the great Arko Kikkert. He's by far the most demanding dog I've ever had but also by far the most rewarding.

Post by DanLu5 »

My money is on worms or coccidia. My guy got both as a puppy and had the same issue. Get a stool sample to the vet. You don't need an appointment for that.
DND & Lohgs, ON
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

How is he today?
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Rice and boiled chicken also are awesome - though it is digested a bit faster and our vet said to feed smaller portions in more frequent times for that. I also heard, from another person, to 1.5x or 2x the amount you'd feed in kibble for the chicken and rice. Not sure how true that is as I've never personally tried it.

Was his dire rear a particular color? Any weird smell to it? Worms can be hard to diagnose and all the times my guy has ever had bacteria and/or worms, he's never had any other symptoms than vomiting and certain types of dire rear for each thing. Always been happy and bouncy and eating fine.

You can also take a stool sample to the vet, sans pup. That's what I started doing with H - way easier and saves you the vet exam fee. They don't mind doing it.

Let us know how he is today!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Kitty_the_dog
Puppy

Post by Kitty_the_dog »

Awww mobil and hendrix thanks for asking. He had diarrhea still this am but just a little. He ate well and i tried the ricrle trick hust a few minutes ago so we will see if it helps. I have checked for worms and havent seen any. He has had 2 rounds of dewormer since we got him but his last visit to the vet we told her he always had such a terribke reaction to the wormer meds he has explosive diarrhea so she said some puppies tummys just dont handle it well so she said he had bi signs of parasites at the time so she would skip the dewormer. That was a week or so ago.
Kitty_the_dog
Puppy

Post by Kitty_the_dog »

some pics of my poor baby all sick. His little face is too stinkin cute
Attachments
trying to get him to drink last night.
trying to get him to drink last night.
1378303_729834847044475_1416790605_n.jpg (47.92 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (50.88 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (66.04 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Moved thread to Medical.

Any updates on the pup?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

What is the solution you're washing his privates with? Any chance he's licking it or getting any on a paw that he can lick?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Kitty_the_dog
Puppy

Post by Kitty_the_dog »

We have done the rice and chicken today as well as a little raw canned pumpkin on top. Stools are a little harder tonight. Stil pretty pudding ish. And very like.light brown dark yellow. He acts like he is better we spoke with the vet and she said as long as he is eating and drinking and jot just laying around a vet trip probably isnt necessary.
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i would do as several have already suggested - take a stool sample [ without taking the dog ] to the vet and have it tested. i would not ignore this. it may get better, then worse, then better - that's how parasites and bacteria show themselves, but unless the stool returns to complete normal soon [ normal for a completely healthy dog ], then this needs attention. meanwhile, an inexpensive test is worthwhile.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

I'm wondering why you were given something for his penile discharge; does he have an infection?

My male has discharge, but it's just smegma, which is normal.
Dusty,

Kitty_the_dog
Puppy

Post by Kitty_the_dog »

They said males can get infections from peeing and some being stuck in there. Or drying on it.
johninny
Working Dog

Post by johninny »

how is he? did you go to the vet or take a stool sample to be tested?